Substrate

Jumbie Spider

Arachnobaron
pretty good imo. you can get peat moss at the hw store which is basically the equivalent. reptisoil generally comes moist so that's a plus.

Jonathan6303

Arachnoangel
pretty good imo. you can get peat moss at the hw store which is basically the equivalent. reptisoil generally comes moist so that's a plus.
I kinda need dry

Can I dry out substrate in the oven or something

Last edited by a moderator:

Jumbie Spider

Arachnobaron
It might be fine as is, it's dry but has a little dampness to it. Just don't add water to it and it will eventually get bone dry again.
The peat moss from the hw store is bone dry out of the bag (from my experience) and costs less and you'd have enough to last for a year probably.

Jonathan6303

Arachnoangel
It might be fine as is, it's dry but has a little dampness to it. Just don't add water to it and it will eventually get bone dry again.
The peat moss from the hw store is bone dry out of the bag (from my experience) and costs less and you'd have enough to last for a year probably.
Thanks for all you help👍

I’m kinda dumb. Should of bought the topsoil everyone’s talking about. Probably be much cheaper.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Thanks for all you help👍

I’m kinda dumb. Should of bought the topsoil everyone’s talking about. Probably be much cheaper.
Reptisoil is topsoil with added charcoal, nothing else, but costing you 20x more.

In the states you can find earthgro, coldblood and another users use it without any problem.

I kinda need dry

Can I dry out substrate in the oven or something
Never do such thing, or you will kill all the beneficial bacterias on it, creating the perfect enviroment for the mold. Leave some days and eventually will dry.

JonnyTorch

Arachnotwit
I've always used coco fiber. Zoo Med Eco Earth. Never had mold issues, it retains moisture when needed, and gets bone dry when needed, for whatever T I have. Don't think I'll switch.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
I've always used coco fiber. Zoo Med Eco Earth. Never had mold issues, it retains moisture when needed, and gets bone dry when needed, for whatever T I have. Don't think I'll switch.

Give topsoil a try and you will change your mind. Honestly

Coco fiber:

If it's bone dry, it gets fluffy and pretty loose. Burrowers need to web it to make it maintain the shape. If it's moist, it doesn't keep the moisture homogeneously, you can have bone dry areas and a swamp close to it. Usually the top layer dries way faster than the bottom one, so people mist the top again to keep it moist, then the water goes down making a swamp, top layer dries again... then mold appears.

Topsoil:

Once it dries it keeps the shape way better than coco fiber. So it's perfect for heavy burrowers. If moist, it spreads the moisture more homogeneously, so you can control the moisture level much easier, and that's very helpful for tropical species. You can add dwarf isopods and springtails to keep it healthier and far from mold or fungus problems.

And the biggest pro, it's waay cheaper than coco fiber.

Jonathan6303

Arachnoangel

Coco fiber:

If it's bone dry, it gets fluffy and pretty loose. Burrowers need to web it to make it maintain the shape. If it's moist, it doesn't keep the moisture homogeneously, you can have bone dry areas and a swamp close to it. Usually the top layer dries way faster than the bottom one, so people mist the top again to keep it moist, then the water goes down making a swamp, top layer dries again... then mold appears.

Topsoil:

Once it dries it keeps the shape way better than coco fiber. So it's perfect for heavy burrowers. If moist, it spreads the moisture more homogeneously, so you can control the moisture level much easier, and that's very helpful for tropical species. You can add dwarf isopods and springtails to keep it healthier and far from mold or fungus problems.

And the biggest pro, it's waay cheaper than coco fiber.
Thanks. From now on I will buy earthgro.

JonnyTorch

Arachnotwit

Coco fiber:

If it's bone dry, it gets fluffy and pretty loose. Burrowers need to web it to make it maintain the shape.
Good info. Most of mine are dry terrestrials or semi humid arboreals that don't burrow in the actual substrate. I may give it a try when I get a burrower/fossorial, or during next rehousing. Thanks for your info. 🙏

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Good info. Most of mine are dry terrestrials or semi humid arboreals that don't burrow in the actual substrate. I may give it a try when I get a burrower/fossorial, or during next rehousing. Thanks for your info. 🙏
You are welcome! 😉