Substrate

Enki40

Arachnopeon
What is your substrate of choice? I normally use a 3 way mixture of plain potting soil/peat moss/vermiculite. As of late, I've just been using plain potting soil with a touch of vermiculite. I have a block of Eco-Earth, but I haven't used it yet.

captmarga

Arachnobaron
I think it will all depend on the owner, the spider, and what's available. My new rosea was on woodchip/bark at Petco. I tried her on the coco-fibre and she disliked it! Moved her this morning to a larger cage, with the reptile-ground walnut over the coco fibre, and she's down on the cage floor all day today, instead of hanging by her toes. Seems much happier.

I've always kept my hentzis on sand or native dirt, no problems. Mae West, my C torelli, is on a combination of the repti-substrate with coco fibre under. She loves her hide (big half-round log) and has been webbing it in today.

My avic Moji-Toes has her cork bark and seems not to care about the "ground". So again, different spider, different bedding. All have a bit of spagnum moss... the Avic likes hers, as does the Togo. My unknown species female is staying down in hers, like a mattress. My P. regalis likes his cage wall. Period.

I will avoid aspen and cedar type beddings for ANY animal. I don't see putting Ts on those, though it's sold as being suitable.

Marga

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
We use a mixture of whatever we have around.(peat, coco fiber, potting soil, pavers sand) We do not use vermiculite at all though, because it just looks too unnatural for us.

sn95

Arachnopeon
I have started using a mixture of about 3/5 potting soil, 1/5 coco fiber, and 1/5 aquarium sand. It seems to hold moisture well and the borrowers seem to have no problem holding up a borrow with it.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Just coir so far. I might change to sphagnum peat moss next time I re-do the substrate though.

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i get coco coir so cheap its ridiculous, so everybody is on that right now. i might look into peat for my a. versi though.

Sodaboy1978

Arachnopeon
Seezilla and I use coco fiber for the Rosie doesn't seemed to mind but she didn't like the walnut ground stuff at all.