Substrate?

NevularScorpion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I would never go waste cash on Eco-Earth.
Plenty of appropriate things can be found at your nursery.

I use peat.
Anything you buy marketed for the Pet trade is marked up 300%
Total waste of money.
^ I second him

NevularScorpion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have a question about isopods but it isnt worth starting a new thread over since isopods were just mentioned here. Is it safe to use isopods that i catch in my yard to keep my avic tanks clean?
Like what other members suggested quarantine them and use the second generation :). I tried both, I took some isopods from my garden and put them directly to my tarantula cage(in my exp nothing really bad happens). I also breed them then put the second generation to my T cage. Just to be safe I recommend you to breed them then use their offspring in your T enclosure.

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I use a mixture of peat and eco earth and had really good luck with it.

MIC

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would never go waste cash on Eco-Earth.
Plenty of appropriate things can be found at your nursery.

I use peat.
Anything you buy marketed for the Pet trade is marked up 300%
Total waste of money.
I agree but you can amortize the cost by reusing the coco fiber after microwaving it for few minutes.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
^ when you have over a hundred tarantulas, Coco fiber is just not feasible to put in every tank. It adds up fast.

Also who wants to microwave substrate for 100 or even 20 Ts?

Personally I like peat moss. It retains moisture a lot better, looks more like the real deal, and allows for better burrowing(imo). resists mold alot better, and can be given back to the earth easier(and better) that Coco fiber. I throw all my used peat in the garden.

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
And you're not further enabling and buying into the insane pet trade mark ups.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've heard that it is much cheaper to buy the coco fiber at a nursery/ greenhouse, but none of the ones close to us have it. Regardless, peat and potting soil make a great mix and are cheap.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
^ same here. When I first started I could not for the life of me find Coco fiber at ANY nursery around here. but I found plenty of peat.