substrate

manville

Arachnoking
Old Timer
what could i use for my leopard geckos..?i mean the substrate..could i use soil? potting soil or anything or do i have to use gravels..thanks..

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
There are many options, including none at all, paper towels, sand, gravel, various bark mulches, and aspen as well a pet trade products like shreaded coconut shells (bed a beast, forrest bed, eco earth, etc.) and calci-sand (a limestone-based substrate that is supposedly digestible).

All have their advantages and disadvantages, I use a mix of the coconut bedding and sand. The chunkier substrates like bark and gravel have been known to cause intestinal blockages if ingested so I avoid them.

Potting soil would probably work fine provided it lacks chemical fertilizers or insecticides. Also, I'd be weary of brands that contain perlite or styrofoam because this material can also cause intestinal blockages. The geckoes wouldn't deliberately eat it, it just gets accidently swallowed when lunging for prey.

Wade

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Leopard geckos come from arid regions. Potting soil would make it too humid for them. Don't use gravel either. In fact, if the leos are young, use paper towels, a type of carpeting called Repti Carpet, or something similar to that name. It's not the green carpeting w/ abrasive plastic grass blades. Repti Carpet is actually flat and somewhat soft. It's actually more visually appealing than paper towels. :) You'll find it at Petco or Petsmart, it has an iguana and/or a gecko on the box it comes in.

Young leopard geckos are still sharpening up their hunting skills, so they'll often end up with a mouthful of sand. Also, they learn about their surroundings by taste. With adults, you can continue to use the carpeting, or digestible sand like Repti Sand or Vita Sand, both types are very fine grades, and I've never had problems with either brand. I've heard of far more problems with Calci Sand, even though it's supposedly digestible. Calci Sand comes in thicker sand "granules" (can't think of a better word), so I imagine it doesn't pass through their system as easily. Adults will "taste" their surroundings, but they don't seem to do it as much as the juvies, just keep a close eye on them for the first week or so to make sure they aren't doing it constantly.

Bry

Last edited:

manville

Arachnoking
Old Timer
so i shd put together paper towels and put it in the tank then? i have potting soil but i dont know if it is a good idea..

manville

Arachnoking
Old Timer
sorry for this post again but do you guys think rice would be ok for it so even if they eat the rice it would still be fine and sometimes there are little bugs growing in the rice grains wouldnt that be good for them?

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Rice could expand inside the geckoes once ingested and kill them. I definately wouldn't try that.

Are they babies? Like Bry, I also use paper towels for babies.

Does your potting soil have chunks of white looking stuff in it? If so, I wouldn't use it as chances are it's perlite or styrofoam which can cause blockages if ingested. I don't see any other problems as long as it's dry. If it's been in a sealed bag for awhile chances are it's pretty damp.

Wade

manville

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah tey are babies..i used really fine sand for it cuz i think its the best thing i can find around here..and they come from a sandy place..

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
manville,
I would go with fine sand (not children's play sand). It's what I have been using for six years. It's also cheaper than products like calci-sand. As you know leopard geckos intentionaly ingest sand (possibly for minerals). Mine always eat this sand and pass it without a problem. For babies plain paper towels work as well.

Bry,
Leos do come from a dry region but they do like humidity (burrows in the wild can be significantly more humid the the areas around it). I always provide my leos with a nest box full of moist soil. The male and two females spend a lot of time in there. It also the reduces the chances of a bad shed.
Mike