Substrate variations

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Re: coir -

I've used it on two of mine, and neither has molded at all. I haven't used it alone though, always mixed with peat. One of those is my H. gigas enclosure, which to say is moist would be an understatement. When it does dry out, it's some of the best shape holding substrate that I've seen. My rosehair's burrow should by all means not be a stable construction, but the fibers hold it up.

Bill

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Perlite and vermiculite are similar things. Vermiculite is puffed mica through heating it in a blast furnace type set up. Perlite is puffed silica through heating, i.e. the puffed wheat version of glass.

It does hold/release moisture very well and I suppose it's probably decent for arboreals, but it's very abrasive and, worse, gives off particulate matter when dry that is the equivalent of inhaling fiberglass dust.

I won't let the stuff anywhere near any T of mine. It's probaly mostly paranoia, but I'd use sand or fish tank gravel long before I'd use perlite.

Slide

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
off topic! (I think.. :) )

For that matter, Code, I think maybe the undergravel setup you described for the tank your frog is in (in this thread ) might be good for high-humidity/arboreal types. If one were to use a good amount of a heavier aquarium gravel on top of an undergravel filter with a power head, and then pile a decent substrate on top of the gravel, you could effectively fill the bottom of the tank (about 3/4 of the way up the gravel, give or take), and use the powerhead to mist the enclosure and keep humidity up, all while "naturally" filtering the water through your subtrate, back to the water level...

Of course, I think most powerheads would probably be alittle abbrasive for this sort of use, but a good adjustable-flow power head plugged into a timer of some sort...this could be quite workable for maintaining humidity in an enclosure...

But...would it be worth it?

More Info: I created a post over here that discusses my thoughts a bit more fully, so I won't clutter this place up (and so I can easily find my notes later ;) ) if anyone's interested..although, in retrospect, if anyone's interested, it should be a post over here. I'll make one when I get home this evening.. :)

Cheers!

Last edited:

LunarFaery

ArachnoDiva
Old Timer
Originally posted by Code Monkey
. Perlite is puffed silica through heating, i.e. the puffed wheat version of glass.

It does hold/release moisture very well and I suppose it's probably decent for arboreals, but it's very abrasive and, worse, gives off particulate matter when dry that is the equivalent of inhaling fiberglass dust.

Thanks Code...That came just in time...Ive done a mad dash in changing my habitats...it also explains why my face is kinda itcy after opening the perlite bag. I have a friend who swears by it. So to each is own, Ive left a small layer for drainage and top it off with peat.

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Originally posted by Slide
off topic! (I think.. :) )

For that matter, Code, I think maybe the undergravel setup you described for the tank your frog is in (in this thread ) might be good for high-humidity/arboreal types. If one were to use a good amount of a heavier aquarium gravel on top of an undergravel filter with a power head, and then pile a decent substrate on top of the gravel, you could effectively fill the bottom of the tank (about 3/4 of the way up the gravel, give or take), and use the powerhead to mist the enclosure and keep humidity up, all while "naturally" filtering the water through your subtrate, back to the water level...

Cheers!
You may have unwittingly just described the most over-killed setup I've ever heard of! :)

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by Mister Internet
You may have unwittingly just described the most over-killed setup I've ever heard of! :)
Yes, I think he did :)
You don't need the powerhead with a T, just put a couple of inches of pea gravel and cover with substrate and have a piece of PVC pipe or something to let you water the gravel below the substrate:

E.g. see this scorpion tank Kugellager posted in the scorpion forum:

Slide

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by Mister Internet
But you MISSED the POINT! :}

So what if it's "over-kill" (I'm not familiar with this term, really)...? It'd be fun to implement! (And anyone who looked upon your setup would think you eccentric or insane; either way, not necessarily a bad thing.. :D )