Substrate trouble

TRection

Arachnoknight
What kind to you use and what are its properties? I have used pure eco earth but i find it take forever to dry out and its also pretty costly (i use the bricks as i can never find the bags of already dry loose ones which im sure are better). I picked up a bag of peat moss from home depot and cleaned out all the chucks of wood and everything but im not sure if this will make a good sub on its own either (correct me if im wrong), it seems extremely too light and fluffy so i was thinking about mixing it with something else, but im not sure what.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
70% peat moss, 30% eco earth.
-resists mold
-holds water near indefinitely
-pretty cheap
-looks nice
-supports burrows

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
I only use jungle mix now. It's $20 for the huge bag, which is expensive, but you only need to fill the tanks once a year--if that. It holds moisture and doesn't mold. It's made for high humidity animals, but I have converted most of my tarantulas to it. It's also dark colored and makes the tarantula more noticeable in contrast.

TRection

Arachnoknight
I only use jungle mix now. It's $20 for the huge bag, which is expensive, but you only need to fill the tanks once a year--if that. It holds moisture and doesn't mold. It's made for high humidity animals, but I have converted most of my tarantulas to it. It's also dark colored and makes the tarantula more noticeable in contrast.
What does the jungle mix look like, is that the one thats like wood chips?

TRection

Arachnoknight
I use coco fiber for damn near everything.
Im going to have to keep looking for the already dry stuff before i use it again, when ever i use the bricks i even put it in the oven after re-hydrating it and its still damp for WEEKS lol

14pokies

Arachnoprince
70% peat moss
Your talking about the mulched up peat correct? I see a lot of people using it and I love the texture color and resistance to mold but isn't it hydrophobic when dry? I remeber buying the long strands of it one time in place of sphagnum and I couldn't get the crap to hold water once dry..Is the the mulched type more absorbent?

TRection

Arachnoknight
Your talking about the mulched up peat correct? I see a lot of people using it and I love the texture color and resistance to mold but isn't it hydrophobic when dry? I remeber buying the long strands of it one time in place of sphagnum and I couldn't get the crap to hold water once dry..Is the the mulched type more absorbent?
Im using the mulched up stuff and it still seems pretty hydrophobic, im thinking maybe 50/50 peat and coco fiber might work well

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Im going to have to keep looking for the already dry stuff before i use it again, when ever i use the bricks i even put it in the oven after re-hydrating it and its still damp for WEEKS lol
Theres a way around that. Use like 1/2 the recommended amount of water to expand it in a 2-5 gallon bucket or tote whatever as long as it has a lid and no ventilation holes. The trick is to use very hot steaming water. Add the brick, pour the steaming water in then put the top on. Leave it for a few hours and then break up any larger chunks that may be left over.. It's barely moist the next day.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Im using the mulched up stuff and it still seems pretty hydrophobic, im thinking maybe 50/50 peat and coco fiber might work well
Ehh if the mulched stuff still has that hydrophobic quality I don't want it. I have no trouble with regular old coco fiber..

Jason B

Arachnosquire
Another trick to drying coco fiber is to put the amount you need in an oven at about 200, check it frequently strirring it around and such.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
no, sphagnum. mixing it with eco earth solves the hydrophobia.

TRection

Arachnoknight
:D I HAVE DONE IT!! lol. Had to go a bit farther than normal but i found the bags of eco earth loose and dry coco fiber, i would like to mix it with the peat moss but im not sure how much, does anyone have experience with mixing the two? i have heard that the peat helps keep mold away and such.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
50% topsoil and 40% eco earth with the extra 10% made from spag moss.

Topsoil is safe and cheap.

You're golden. ;)

Last edited:

ediblepain

Arachnosquire
I have been using eco earth for ages, but this year I started mixing it with super cheap topsoil. The kind with nothing added. I like the mix and my fuzzballs seem happy with it.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
:D I HAVE DONE IT!! lol. Had to go a bit farther than normal but i found the bags of eco earth loose and dry coco fiber, i would like to mix it with the peat moss but im not sure how much, does anyone have experience with mixing the two? i have heard that the peat helps keep mold away and such.
dump them both into a bucket. mix with hands. use less eco earth than peat moss. (saves $$$) its not a exact science.

TRection

Arachnoknight
dump them both into a bucket. mix with hands. use less eco earth than peat moss. (saves $$$) its not a exact science.
instructions unclear, peat moss caught on fire...for real though thanks, ill mix up a batch tomorrow probably do a 50/50. I also bought some fake plants from pet smart.

QUICK TIP: for some reason all the "reptile" plants and rocks cost like 16bucks for even the smallest ones and yet right next to them in the "fish" isle they have a massive selection of some really nice looking plants, hides, rocks, you name it, good quality and made of the same materials for literally $2, i bought 3 plants for $4..makes no sense to me. :rofl: