Substrate too wet?

Snakecharm

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey all,

Came home with what I think is a subadult 3" P. scrofa yesterday. Should hopefully get some pics in the next day or three so I can ask for a positive ID. I put her in a KK with coconut bark substrate. Since she looks to be close to molting, I went ahead and took the damp coco bark, squeezed it out thoroughly and then put it in the enclosure slightly damp. I figured that with the vented top on the KK that it will dry out fairly quickly and yet still give her extra humidity.

However. Since I put her in in there she's been hanging on the side of the cage and not sitting on the bottom of the enclosure. Do you think it's too wet?

Thanks!

Jennifer

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
maybe its a little wet depend , if you got a good ventilation it will dry out, as for the T on the side they do it very much when doing a rehousing, they're not used to the substrate, but she will get down

Snakecharm

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My only concern is that she will come down like she's going to step on the floor and then pull her feet back up. Do you think it's just unfamiliarity with the substrate? The pet store was keeping her on some kind of corn cob looking stuff.

I was thinking about going to get some dry vermiculite today and replacing it with that. Or do you think it would be better to just leave her alone?

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
if you say the ventilation is good I would'nt worry

depend whats your definition of wet ... is there condensation on the walls, when you squeeze de substrate is there water coming off of your hand

if soo I think would be better to change your substrate, if not then let it dry out, maybe try to get some more ventilation in your room

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It may be a bit damp. Most Kritter Keepers are fairly well ventilated, so it will dry out fairly quickly. Your T may also be settling down after the move.

Snakecharm

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Nope, no condensation. It's just noticably damp to the touch. The entire top of the enclosure is vented and the room is well ventilated. I'm probably just being too fussy. :D

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Snakecharm said:
My only concern is that she will come down like she's going to step on the floor and then pull her feet back up. Do you think it's just unfamiliarity with the substrate? The pet store was keeping her on some kind of corn cob looking stuff.

I was thinking about going to get some dry vermiculite today and replacing it with that. Or do you think it would be better to just leave her alone?
The corn cob stuff is really nasty and should not be used for tarantulas. Most folks around here use peat moss. The Eco Earth, Bed-A-Beast and similar products (coconut fiber stuff) is also good. The advantage of peat moss is the cost. It is very inexpensive.

Snakecharm

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Windchaser said:
The corn cob stuff is really nasty and should not be used for tarantulas. Most folks around here use peat moss. The Eco Earth, Bed-A-Beast and similar products (coconut fiber stuff) is also good. The advantage of peat moss is the cost. It is very inexpensive.
*grin* Yeah, knew about the corn cob stuff. I have to wonder what sort of animal it's actually *good* for.

Bed-a-beast is what I have. I actually bought a 3-pack of the bricks of it at Petsmart one time on a clearance table for some ridiculously low price. I had intended to use it for sand boas and then decided I didn't like it for them. Used some of the remains of that first brick with a gecko for a while. The other two bricks have been sitting in a cabinet for probably a year or so.

Nice when you can find a use for stuff like that, hm? :D

Scp682

Arachnoknight
Mine did the same thing. The substrate was dry but she just always like being up the corner 🤷‍♂️ i think I've read before this is just something p scrofa do. Mine never burrowed or really spent time on the substrate unless she was in her hide. She was using in one of the back corners of the kk.