Substrate question

Tarantulas82

Arachnopeon
I have been researching substrate. I want to ask you about your experience with Repti Soil. Any positive or negative experiences?

Last edited:

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Should not be a problem. I have the best experiences with normal potting soil (of course without any additives!).

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
I have used it for fossorial species and It works great is you get it moist and pack it down then let it dry out a bit.

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
I use a mix of 50/50 Reptisoil and Cocofiber for most of my Ts with some tweaking depending on the species. I really love the stuff. It holds moisture well. Combined with cocofiber, it holds burrows great and will absorb water readily.

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
My sling is on reptisoil right now and it works good. I dont know how but even though it’s meant for reptiles, it’s perfect for all inverts with little adjustments like adding sand or wood or sphag moss.

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
Experimenting with different substrates is part of the fun of the hobby.
You can pretty much make Reptisoil yourself. It's just soil, peat, sand, and some charcoal I believe.
I've been mixing my own substrates for reptiles, amphibians, and tarantulas. For my T's I use a base if 2 parts sifted topsoil, 2 parts coco fiber, 1 part peat. If I'm using it for a species that likes it drier I use the base substrate or maybe add a bit more topsoil, if it's a species that likes it moister I add 1 part of vermiculite and maybe some milled sphagnum moss.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Reptisoil holds moisture really, really well. So well, in fact, that it stays water logged... even when you have a drainage layer underneath it.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Same. I mix Reptisoil and Coco Coir for my fossorials definitely and for the rest, mostly.

8 legged

Arachnoprince
do you have a good potting soil that you like to use, like the brand name?
Yes, but it is a German product:
"Dehner Aussaat Erde"
Although I suspect that there is also soil for rearing without additives such as fertilizer or liquid storage in the States!

Tarantulas82

Arachnopeon
I have used it for fossorial species and It works great is you get it moist and pack it down then let it dry out a bit.
I use a mix of 50/50 Reptisoil and Cocofiber for most of my Ts with some tweaking depending on the species. I really love the stuff. It holds moisture well. Combined with cocofiber, it holds burrows great and will absorb water readily.
Thank you!

Duke1907

Arachnopeon
Never used Reptisoil before, but everyone I've heard talk about it absolutely loves it and I'm going to get some one day. Never heard one person say they didn't like it.
Terra Aranea from the Bio Dude has a great reputation as well (as far as I've heard), although it's expensive. Good stuff usually is.

liquidfluidity

Arachnoknight
Reptisoil is my base for my mix. Along with coco coir, peat, and vermiculite. Super moisture holding and nothing better for fossorials.

I stopped using straight Reptisoil as I found it hard to visually see the moisture in it. Once I started adding c. coir again, I was able to see that moisture line again.

I initially stopped using coco fiber because of mushrooms. 70% of my kids need moist sub and I was having shroom issues. I still do periodically but have started boosting my springtail colonies in said enclosures.

To me, it seems that coco fiber bricks are the dirtiest. I don't think i have had a shroom pop up when using the bagged coir.

Reptisoil - haven't had shroom 1 pop up yet. Very minimal mold issues and those were usually attributed to a missed bolus or around the water dish.