Substrate question...

Cuttlefish

Arachnopeon
Can any of you think of a reason why I shouldn't use something called "decorative sand" in a scorpion enclosure? I mean, it'll have rocks and other stuff, but I don't know if I should stay away from this stuff for scorp-health reasons or not... I don't want to use the fluorescent pink stuff... just the black.
Ideas?

Thanks,
Tamara.

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
That really depends on what type of Scorpion you're going to be keeping. For example with any of the Pandinus genus (emperor's, red claw's, etc) sand would be a no no as these are tropical, NOT desert, scorpions and a sand substrate would not meet their humidity needs. Let us know what kind of scorpion you intend on keeping and we should be able to give you some better information. :D

Scott

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
The scorpion in question is a H.troglodyte that I'm getting in with one of my orders. Obviously we understand the nature of the setup -- it was more a question of whether "decorative sand" has the potential for being toxic. My intuition says that it is probably okay to use it, though I am going to stick to normal, proven sand for my scorps.

Tamara's first scorpion -- very exciting!

Cheers,
Dave

wayne

Arachnopeon
I have used a type of decorative sand for my
Scorpio mauris (spelling?) and A. austrailis for
quite some time now with no ill effects.

It's a hoffman brand, they call it western desert
sand. It's a little more corse then the regular washed
sand i was using, so burrowing is a tad easier for them.
Wayne

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
I would say that if the decorative sand was used in a desrt or dry enclosure there would be no problems. Assuming you are referring to that dyed stuff as decorative sand and not a naturally colored sand like 'desert sand' . I would not use it in an enclosure that has to be high in humidity. I don't know what effect any chemicals use to dye colored sand would have on the critters.

If I am assuming incorrectly about you definition of decorative sand then what I just said is moot.:8o

John
; ' /