Substrate question.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I have a question about the substrate I am using for some of my more humidity-loving inverts. I am using a mix of vermiculite and peat moss -- not sure of the exact proportions but I'd guess about 4:6 vermiculite to peat.

My H.lividum seems to have found her substrate perfect for burrowing and has dug a huge u-shaped burrow about 8" deep and 7" wide from entrance-to-entrance.

My costa-rican zebras, on the other hand, don't seem to be burrowing much at all. One has taken up refuge in the peat cup I provided her, but my little guy still stays exposed most of the time.

Any suggestions? Is it potentialy a substrate problem? Humidity problem? Something else?

Cheers,
Dave

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
I use the vermiculite / peatmoss blend almost exclusively at this point and I have no problems with it. I have found that those species which like to burrow build their burrows more readily if I tamp the subsrate down and give the burrow a "start" with a half of a flower pot or something similar. Hope this helps.

Gail

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
It helps in that I'm not totaly off-base on my theory. My one H.seemani has actualy completely destroyed her peat cup which indicates that she is trying to do something (the other A.seemani blocked up the front of the peat cup and ripped a hole in the back). I am considering moving them to deeper containers like the one my H.lividum is in (11.4L ice-cream tub).

Cheers,
Dave