• 75% vermicuite-25% peat moss

Votes: 13 1.0%
  • other...please state in reply post

Votes: 414 33.1%

• Total voters

Jmadson13

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The only problem I've had with coconut is it moulds, I also dislike the smell ;)

DracosBana

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
For my terrestrial and burrower (G. rosea and A. geniculata) I use 50-50 Coir Fibre top soil, the arboreals get straight Coir Fibre.

GabooN

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Okie thanks, i ended up getting a small bag of peat from my work today, the Schultz Canadian Sphagnum Natural Peat Moss.

WNY_Tarantulas

Arachnopeon
Eco earth or similar. If you dont know what eco earthy is..
Compressed coconut husks made into a brick you add water to. 1 brick makes about 9 dry quarts.

ink_scorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nothin' but Peat for me!

When you can get 2.2 cu. ft. at the Lowes H&G section, sphagnum peat no less, why use anything else? :cool:

kmk

Arachnopeon
I use coconut fiber for all but my rose hair. The coconut fiber holds moisture well and never molds. For my rose hair i use cactus potting soil.

misfitsfiend

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
usually use about 70% potting soil, 30% peat. but 50/50 works too, especially for the more humid loving spp.

wolfpak

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i use coconut fibers. it it a good substrate, for blondi and smithi? or should i change it?

arachnoguy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
coconut fiber is great stuff. it holds moisture for a looooong time and helps when you want to get a cage nice and humid

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Twenty years ago I was using great substrates like fishtank gravel and sand. Since those dark times, I have tried out 100% peat, peat/vermiculite in various ratios, 100% vermiculite, potting soil, coconut coir/peat, and 100% coconut coir.

I am now using the coir exclusively.

Gesticulator

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have only used straight peat so far, and just bought a small bale of it. However, I now leave it bone dry to avoid breeding crickets. I mist the sides of the housing for the slings. It's cheap enough, so I don't mind having to dump it if I need to.I don't use any substrate for my arboreals, but I mist the tanks about twice a week. Maybe I'll give the coconut brick a try.

Melmoth

ArachnoSweetTalker
Old Timer
I use peat,peat/vermiculite 80% to 20 ratio and peat with a small amount of suitable bark for rainforest T's.

nightbreed

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I use coconut coir, it works fine I've never had any mold and its easy to store (before you soak it :) )

cloud711

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
the substrate i use for my t is cocodust or cocopeat. it's great in holding moisture. I also heard that this substrate dont get mold easily. for me this is the best substrate. chemical free, and very cheap. :)

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Elmolax said:
I use bed-a-beast/// 100%
Should I change?
No, you are fine. I have used it in the past. The main reason I use peat now is because of the cost. It is very cheap and when you have lots of critters, the cost savings are beneficial.

Czalz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My preferred substrate is coconut bark. I have just recently tried something new with several of my t's though. I have put about 3 1/2 inches of potting soil in several of my t's tanks, and covered it with coconut bark(substrate for t's, and good mulch). The reason for this is that I intend to find some partial shade plants to grow in the tanks with the t's. I also considered (with this new environment) to introduce earthworms to the soil(good for the plants), and isopods on top to keep things clean. I guess the idea is to create a mini eco system in the tank, although it wouldn't really consist of many complete cycles, the idea sounds fun to me, and interesting.

Spectre45

Arachnopeon
I plan on getting my first T this week, a G.rosea, and I have a quick substrate question. I plan on using peat moss, but with a g.rosea, do I need to wet it before putting it in the kritter keeper?

Edit: From what I've read, they prefer a dry substrate, but I also know I read somewhere to mix the peat moss with water until you can squeeze a handfull and it'll hold it's shape, but won't let out any water. Should I do this, place it in the tank, and allow it to dry before introducing the T, or is it not necessary at all?

Thanks.

Last edited:

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Spectre45 said:
I plan on getting my first T this week, a G.rosea, and I have a quick substrate question. I plan on using peat moss, but with a g.rosea, do I need to wet it before putting it in the kritter keeper?

Edit: From what I've read, they prefer a dry substrate, but I also know I read somewhere to mix the peat moss with water until you can squeeze a handfull and it'll hold it's shape, but won't let out any water. Should I do this, place it in the tank, and allow it to dry before introducing the T, or is it not necessary at all?

Thanks.
For G. rosea I just usually put a few inches or so of peat moss right out of the bag in the enclosure. No need to wet it as it's already usually a bit damp anyway. It is a bit dusty when it completely dries out though.