• 75% vermicuite-25% peat moss

Votes: 13 1.0%
  • other...please state in reply post

Votes: 414 33.1%

• Total voters

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My preferred substrate is potting soil.I use Hortibec 100% organic chemical free potting soil with a generous amount of "well aged,composted" cedar mulch thrown in for texture.Works great.Here's a link to the site of hortibec soils.They make an excellent potting soil..totally organic and chemical free.

>>click here<<

***When voting vote for preferred terrestrial/burrower substrate.Aboreal substrate isn't as critical as they don't spend much time if any on it.Any substrate works fine for aboreal.Thanks...***

Last edited:

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
Im with Walter. That coconut stuff is good. I used to use Peat moss but I always got that weird yellow fungus/mushroomy/tubelike odd growing things.....ugh. I've had no problem with the coconut husk growing odd alien plants. :D ...yet

K MUELLER

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
put me in for the coconut''stuff'', been using it for a couple of years no problems,later-karl

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
100% peatmoss.
I've never had any fungus grow in it.

E

Trinity

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
All my "children" have coconut fibers as the substrate. I've never had any mites or fungus growth using this.

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
For my terrestrials I like 100% peat moss. For my arboreal I like 100% vermiculite.

I have a rosie on a pre-molded soft rubber insert that she's done well on for over a decade. It has a built in basement, and a split level top. Its the Ritz-Carlton of 10 gallon enclosure substrate. Not only is it easy to spot clean, its inert to fungi and mites. I originally bought it for a snake, but it was too good to pass up for my T. So I gave it a try, and I'm glad I did.

Kevo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Cann't really pick one as I use most the above substrates to some degree in varying amounts. Its a bit species specific IMO.
:?

Ryan Bridgman

Arachnopeon
Both my B.Smithi and A.Seemanni are doing fine on 100% vermiculite. My mantis has that as her substrate too, although she spends all her time hanging upside down from the roof of her critter keeper

manville

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i like peat moss and potting soil havnt had any problems with them

Quiet-1

Arachnopeon
As some others before have also mentioned, I have been using the coconut fiber (bed-a-beast) with all of my T's. Have never had any problems with mold, fungus, or mites.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Originally posted by Professor T
For my terrestrials I like 100% peat moss. For my arboreal I like 100% vermiculite.

my setups exactly.....

Malkavian

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by Walter
My vote goes for "other" - the coconut fiber EcoEarth.

Coconut fiber for me so far. THough i've only had my Ts for a few days!

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
hyaww mule..upfront...trying to get a few more votes

chid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I use 100% vermiculite for arboreals and for terrestrials I use forest bed (expanding substrate), peat and verm in varying mixtures depnding on species.

Chid

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Trying for some more votes.Looks like so far peat moss is the substrate of choice...peace..

G_Wright

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by pelo
My preferred substrate is potting soil.I use Hortibec 100% organic chemical free potting soil with a generous amount of "fine" cedar mulch thrown in for texture.Works great.

As far as I know cedar is TOXIC to Tarantulas not good to have it in your tank. (It gives off toxins)

PapaSmurf

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i use a mix virmiculite/peatmoss/potting soil (50% soil,15% moss,35% virmiculite) or somthing i buy it at walmart for like 3.99 a bag its all organtic i find it to be best for humidity and easy for my h.lividum to burrow in..