• 75% vermicuite-25% peat moss

Votes: 13 1.0%
  • other...please state in reply post

Votes: 414 33.1%

• Total voters

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
100% natural clay based soils for me. You dont find spiders living in coco fiber or peat moss in the wild so I dont like to house them in it. I have noticed I get MUCH better behavior and burrowing from my spiders on loamy clay based soils than anything else. Give them what they came from!

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ok, I keep reading about vermiculite so I just went to Home Depot and bought some, now I am reading the label and it says don't inhale, if you get it in your eyes, flush with water, breathing over extended period of time could cause respiratory problems. Now how in the world do you use this as substrate?

Arachnos

Arachnopeon
I started off with vermiculite and peat moss 50/50 but now I am a 100% fan of coconut fiber ecoearth. It is easy to keep moist for high humidity species and easy to keep clean for the desert species. So far I have not heard any complaints out of my T's :D

Rue

Arachnoknight
I think the ExoTerra Plantation Soil IS coconut fibre...same as the EcoEarth product...

If it is, I'm good to go...

Dr Acula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My vote goes for "other" - the coconut fiber EcoEarth.
other" for grounded up babies :D
jk XD
coconut fiber has worked fine for me. no mold and my haitian brown's burrows hold up just fine :)

Last edited:

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm really surprised to see so many people using the coconut fibers these days. When I was using the stuff back around 2002 or so, people were having fungal/mold issues with it and I had an A. geniculata that stuck itself to the glass until I changed it back to peat. Back then I was using Bed-a-beast. Is the stuff being processed differently these days?

super-pede

Arachnobaron
It completely depends on the species IMO.
for my desert pedes, scorps, and T's I use a clay(50 %)/sand(25%)/peat moss(25%) mixture
for My tropical species I use a base layes of clay to support burrowing and a coco fibre/ peatmoss mixture for the top (and thicker layer) to hold moisture. and then I also use straight coco fiber and straight peat moss sometimes for smaller enclosures.

MB623

Arachnoknight
Substrate

I definitely prefer Eco-Earth. It's clean, holds moisture well, and is quite cheap if bought at the right place. Plus I kinda like the smell when moist.

Birdman10682

Arachnopeon
I like a coco-fiber/coco husk blend for my Okie browns, my curly hair and my white-knee. I've also tried a coco-husk/desert sand/cypress bedding blend for my rose-haired T and he has been settled in comfortably for months now. However, I put the sand on the bottom, cypress in the middle and the coco-husk on top.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
exxo terra plantation soil all the way....the other stuff my pet store gets,(cant remember name), grows mold, will almost never dry out, and also grows bird seed plants....hmmmmm...owner of that factory must make bird seed too or something, also found leaves and sticks in it...