Substrate/Humidity Help needed

Therbert

Arachnopeon
I recently bought a rose hair and have been using coconut husk as a substrate. However, I have been having problems maintaining the correct humidity. A friend suggested trying vermiculite. Is this suitable and will it help keep the humidity better than coconut husk?
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what is the best substrate and how to maintain the correct humidity levels.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
I recently bought a rose hair and have been using coconut husk as a substrate. However, I have been having problems maintaining the correct humidity. A friend suggested trying vermiculite. Is this suitable and will it help keep the humidity better than coconut husk?
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what is the best substrate and how to maintain the correct humidity levels.
Humidity?

Use coco coir. If that's what your coco husk is, then keep using it.
G. rosea don't need or thrive in high humidity, so keep 'er dry, and with a full waterdish. That's it. Just make sure it doesn't fall into the extreme for extended periods (50% and below) and she will be just fine.

Ms.X

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Humidity?
G. rosea don't need or thrive in high humidity, so keep 'er dry, and with a full waterdish. That's it. Just make sure it doesn't fall into the extreme for extended periods (50% and below) and she will be just fine.
Very well said, my thoughts exactly. Perhaps you would like to do a bit of reading about G. rosea and their captive care requirements?

From the sticky at the top of this subforum:
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=5292

The Care and Husbandry of the Chilean rose by Schultz:
http://people.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/roses.html

SC Tarantulas

Arachnoknight
They like very dry substrate. Like the comments before me said make sure you keep the water dish full and whenever you fill it let it overflow just a little and your good. Roseas hate wet substrate.

Spidershane1

Arachnoknight
Certain areas of the G. roseas native range in Chile have actually never had any recorded rainfall.
They like it pretty dang dry. I live in the desert & the ambient humidity in my room is usually 20%-25% and all I ever need to do with my roseas is give em a water dish and pour a tiny little bit of water in a small corner of the substrate once a week.