Substrate hindering burrowing?

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
My seemanni still isn't burrowing. Could it be the substrate? She housed in a 10 gallon tank filled the with compressed stuff 4 in. deep in the lowest part. I'd say it's roughtly 1/2 full.

Tanks in advance,
N.

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Forgot to mention, she sits in the exact same spot most of the time. She doesn't use the hide at all. I think she sits there to keep warm, as that's the side the heater's on.

N.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
By compressed stuff I assume you mean bed-a-beast ground coconut coir? If so, the stuff is pretty lousy for burrowing because it doesn't hold any shape. OTOH, not all zebras are going to be burrowers even if given the opportunity.

If I want to let the spiders dig I give them a moist 50/50 peat/verm substrate myself since it holds shape very well.

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My A.seemani has 4.5 inches of peat/potting soil and a little vermiculte thrown in and digs a little bit but nothing even close to burrow after a month of having her.

Mark

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My A. seemani doesn't burrow. As Code said, not all of them burrow. You should be glad it doesn't.:)
You can watch it, whereas alot of A. seemani keepers can't.
Your lucky.:D

Ernie

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thats interesting, i bouight it because i WANTED it to burrow....i gave it alot of ideal substrate and everything...i really wanted to watch a T dig a burrow and see what it would be like (i didnt care because the price was an extremly reasonable$13 fir a 4.5 inch FEMALE). It was sort of an experiment gone wrong and i really like the spider even though it doesnt burrow :D :D

Mark

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by Bjorgly
Thats interesting, i bouight it because i WANTED it to burrow....i gave it alot of ideal substrate and everything...i really wanted to watch a T dig a burrow and see what it would be like (i didnt care because the price was an extremly reasonable$13 fir a 4.5 inch FEMALE). It was sort of an experiment gone wrong and i really like the spider even though it doesnt burrow :D :D

Mark
I paid $35 for mine, and it damn well better burrow! ;P
That's why I got it, I heard they were "obligate" burrowers and given enough substrate would burrow like mad. If this one doesn't I will be a bit annoyed. I went to great lengths this time...

(update)- Now the thing's climbing up the sides! Argh! That makes me mad. I just got the 10 gallon so it would burrow and not do that. Now it looks like I need a new, shorter KK for it like I have my Redknee in...*cursing under my breath*

N.

Last edited:

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Nocturnalpulsem,

Mine is 4.5 inches long and in a 10 gal cage with almost 5 inches of 50/50 peat moss/potting soil - a very good burrowing environment. It webs everything up and wont burrow. I guess they all dont burrow, lots of people on this forum have them that wont burrow given the chance. I guess if we want things to burrow we need a H.lividum or H.gigas or C.crawshayi or something. Unfortunately there is not such thing as an obligate burrow with a good temper =)

Mark

Tranz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Bjorgly

Mark
Have you tried giving your G. Pulchra 5 inches of substrate? I use Jungle Mix, and my G. Pulchra sling has always burrowed.

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Tranz, my G.pulchra is 1.5 inches..i have it 2 inches of peat moss.. at first it did nothing then made a burrow down the side of the glass then i guess it may have collapsed or somethhing but the next day he had no burrow and had dug out himself a spot on the glass bottom of the jar hes in, and has piled up the rest of the substrate very steep...i guess he likes the glass, as he seems to be doing just fine. As soon as he molts again hes going into the smallest kritter keeper and he can burrow as much as he wants.

Mark

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Here's another thought...My avic. took about a month before she started webbing at all, and by the second month she had a mad web up in the corner. Did anyone's burrowers who actually did start digging do it right away, or did it take a few weeks?

N.

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by nocturnalpulsem
I paid $35 for mine, and it damn well better burrow! ;P
That's why I got it, I heard they were "obligate" burrowers and given enough substrate would burrow like mad. If this one doesn't I will be a bit annoyed. I went to great lengths this time...

(update)- Now the thing's climbing up the sides! Argh! That makes me mad. I just got the 10 gallon so it would burrow and not do that. Now it looks like I need a new, shorter KK for it like I have my Redknee in...*cursing under my breath*

N.
Thats interesting, i bouight it because i WANTED it to burrow....i gave it alot of ideal substrate and everything...i really wanted to watch a T dig a burrow and see what it would be like (i didnt care because the price was an extremly reasonable$13 fir a 4.5 inch FEMALE). It was sort of an experiment gone wrong and i really like the spider even though it doesnt burrow
Good luck watching them burrow. <Covers my mouth and giggles fantically.> You see, they tend to burrow late at night, and even if you do catch them in the process of burrowing, you will notice that you will need to sit there very still for about 5 hours or so to even begin to notice any difference between the old tank and the new tank. I gave up trying to watch my T's burrow a long time ago. As far as obligated burrower goes, A. seenammi???? Get a cobalt blue (H. lividum). The moment you put that bugger into its cage, with enough substrate, it will burrow like crazy. I guarantee it.

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by lam
Good luck watching them burrow. <Covers my mouth and giggles fantically.> You see, they tend to burrow late at night, and even if you do catch them in the process of burrowing, you will notice that you will need to sit there very still for about 5 hours or so to even begin to notice any difference between the old tank and the new tank. I gave up trying to watch my T's burrow a long time ago. As far as obligated burrower goes, A. seenammi???? Get a cobalt blue (H. lividum). The moment you put that bugger into its cage, with enough substrate, it will burrow like crazy. I guarantee it.
Ah, yes, but that leaves me with a T. that will most likely "knuckle-rape" me (saw it in a previous post and laughed). I don't know if I'm all that ready, though I am intrigued...

N.

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
N.,

If you absolutely want your t to burrow, try using peat moss/potting soil substrate which is a good mix for burrowing. Place a toilet paper tube diagonally into the substrate, burying it all except for the opening at the end. The tarantula will hide in the tube at first (once it discovers it) and will eventually burrow (if the substrate is moist it makes it easier for the t to burrow).

Hope this helps a little,

Paul

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by phoenixxavierre
N.,

If you absolutely want your t to burrow, try using peat moss/potting soil substrate which is a good mix for burrowing. Place a toilet paper tube diagonally into the substrate, burying it all except for the opening at the end. The tarantula will hide in the tube at first (once it discovers it) and will eventually burrow (if the substrate is moist it makes it easier for the t to burrow).

Hope this helps a little,

Paul

I don't think I can find a paper roll wide enough. She's quite a lard@$$! Anything wider you could suggest?

N.

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My question is why would you want your T to burrow? After it burrowed in, you will only get to see it once or twice a year, in short of drowning it out or dig it out. I love my Ts so I always give them enough substrate for the option of burrowing. But I always hope that they won't burrow so I can see them everyday.

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't think I can find a paper roll wide enough. She's quite a lard@$$! Anything wider you could suggest?

N.
As long as her butt is no bigger around than the toilet paper roll, she'll utilize it. Even my big girl, Sadie (L. parahybana) will try to fit herself into a paper roll tube or toilet paper tube (quite comical looking actually)! You could always try cutting the roll along it's length and opening the tube up a bit to allow her size before you bury it in the substrate, so it would be kind of like a buried roof (I haven't tried this myself but seems to me it would work the same).

Besidees, the toilet paper or paper towel tube will eventually decay and disappear or be removed by the t, leaving only the burrow that the t will create in it's place. IME, paper towel tubes (for larger enclosures 20 gallon or more) or toilet paper tubes (best used in 10 gallon size) are the best way to encourage a tarantula to burrow, and I have had it work in every burrowing species I have tried it with.

If you do try it, please let me know what the results are. It has never failed for me.

How large is your girl?

Paul

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer

How large is your girl?

Paul
She's about 4-4.5 in., but I'm not shure exactly. Everytime I try to measure her she freaks ("OMG some huge thing w/a stick!!!" LoL) and runs off. Palm size if she bunches up a bit.

As far as the tube thing goes, I failed to mention that the half log I up in her tank is buried halfway at an angle, as suggested to do with the TP tube. I can't get her to go in that, either. I tried nudging her, but she wouldn't have it. I guess she'll never dig a nice hole...

And since the noob knows not how to quote multiple people...

(in resopnse to Iam)- I want her to burrow because that's what she (theoretically) is supposed to do. I bought her because I've never had a burrower, and I thought it would be cool. I don't handle this one, as she's so fast, so I see no reason why she shouldn't be allowed to burrow.

N.

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I guess she'll never dig a nice hole...

N.
Nonsense, N! Take a coffee can (is she in a ten gallon?) and corral her into the can gently, then gently place the lid on.

Remove her substrate and replace it with a mix of potting soil, the cheap kind as found at WalMart (something with no chemical additives, plain dirt), and peat moss, and fill the tank up with substrate to within a few inches of the top.

Make the mix 50/50 and crumble up the chunks of soil and peat some. Now take the TP tube and bury it at a diagonal with the end of the tube pointing toward one end of the tank. You can allow a little soil or peat to fall into the tube but you want it to be hollow for the most part.

Leave a couple of inches of space between the opening of the tube and the glass. The tarantula will happen upon this as it's wandering at night and find it to be a nice, safe, secure, snug fit.

More than likely it will start out by hiding in the tube and eventually will dig a burrow (usually within a week to a month depending on the species).

Add it's waterdish and overflow the dish to moisten the substrate. If you have a measuring cup try adding several cups of water to the dish and allow it to overflow to moisten some of the substrate in the bottom of the tank.

Add whatever other things you want to be in the tank. Now try not to fiddle with the environment and watch the t over the next week and see how it reacts.

It may work for you (I have found it to work with all burrowers) and it may not, but if you really want her to burrow, at least you know you tried every possible avenue!

Anyway, good luck with her and I hope she starts burrowing for you either way!

Take care,

Paul

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Anyway, good luck with her and I hope she starts burrowing for you either way!

Take care,

Paul
I may try it. Two questions come to mind, though...

1) if those %^&$#@ superworms can burrow like hell through the stuff I use now, why can't the T?

2) what the crap am I going to do with 5 gallons worth of the old substrate?!?! Guess I won't need to shop for a while...

N.