Substrate for asian forest scorpion

Dazza982

Arachnopeon
I've recently got an Asian forest and just wondering if I can mix coco brick with Acadia earth mix

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Your set-up looks fantastic but is the Acadia earth mix treated or contain addictives?

If you still have the product's packaging read the ingredients or even post it here on the thread otherwise - looking great ;)

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Never mind, I looked it up myself and the company states Arcadia earth mix is safe for inverts.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Cool bud just letting it go now before I put the scorpion in there
I would keep the substrate moist though. I wouldn't let it dry out. This can be remedied by pouring a cup of water very very slowly over a wide area. Let it soak in. Rinse and repeat if necessary.

Dazza982

Arachnopeon
I would keep the substrate moist though. I wouldn't let it dry out. This can be remedied by pouring a cup of water very very slowly over a wide area. Let it soak in. Rinse and repeat if necessary.
Yeah I've been a bought a pump spray bottle for keeping it moist and keeping humidty at a constant level

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Yeah I've been a bought a pump spray bottle for keeping it moist and keeping humidty at a constant level
A pump spray bottle doesn't soak in as deeply as water poured directly into the substrate especially if you notice lower levels drying out. I keep my substrate basically coffee grounds dark. ;)

Dazza982

Arachnopeon
A pump spray bottle doesn't soak in as deeply as water poured directly into the substrate especially if you notice lower levels drying out. I keep my substrate basically coffee grounds dark. ;)
Ahh I see I'll just have to put water in from cup to soak it properly

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
I'm using a heat mat on the side of tank that is on a thermostat did look into a heat lamp but advised not to use
I use heat mats myself. I have heard bad things about ceramic lamps. I prefer heat mats for their low wattage compared to red standard bulbs. ;)

Dazza982

Arachnopeon
I use heat mats myself. I have heard bad things about ceramic lamps. I prefer heat mats for their low wattage compared to red standard bulbs. ;)
Yeah same i speak to the shop owner where i bought it from as he knows what he going on about with keeping scorpions and tarantulas aswell so it's always nice to pick his brains when I'm not to sure on something

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
For a while I trained a nano dome with a 40 watt CHE bulb at the side of one of my AFS tanks. It worked pretty well. The warmed glass radiated the heat But, I also keep a sheet of plexiglass atop that cage and adjust it according to the levels of humidity at the given time. I have since placed a UTH on the side though, I considered the CHE a temporary measure. But I don't think it would have hurt to continue using the bulb because I had no real problem maintaining humidity.

I do keep my AFS scorplings next to a wire cage lamp containing a CHE. The lamp is atop my leopard gecko cage, so it's a matter of multi-purposing.