substrate for a t. blondi???

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
right now i have him in a relatively good size tank for the 1 inch little fellow.....i have half of it peat moss and the other have potting soil, an empty bandaid box as a retreat (its all i could find lol...what do you expect from a 14 year old guy?), and a 2 liter pop cap as a water dish....

will this do for my new t. blondi??????

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Works for me.
But then I have a lava lamp in one of our enclosiers....
:)
If it works and is none dangerous for the T.
I call it good. :)

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Static_69
2 liter pop cap as a water dish....

What's this you speak of?

Liter? Pop?

Speak english!

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i took the cap off of a 2 liter soda bottle and made it into a water dish...
i am speaking english lol.

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Sounds like you've got a good setup going. Don't be surprised if your blondi takes up resisdance somewhere other than the band-aid box. Mine's never made burrows where I wanted her to ;)

The key thing with young blondi is to keep the humidity up! I've done this by covering 95% of the lid with a wet towel, allowing just enough room for ventilation. Blondi have a bad habit of drying out when they try to molt. If you can get a humidity gauge in the enclosure, make sure it stays around 80-90%.

Good luck!!

-Bryan

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
thanks for the tip...i have a humidity strip in but i think the thing is retarded because it reads 100% humidity and i know thats damn near impossible unless i had the soil and moss dripping wet which it isn't.

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Static_69
thanks for the tip...i have a humidity strip in but i think the thing is retarded because it reads 100% humidity and i know thats damn near impossible unless i had the soil and moss dripping wet which it isn't.

Please don't use retarded as an adjective. It's disrespectful. Thanks!

kellygirl

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's already been said, but humidity is very important for the blondi. I keep mine on about 5 or 6 inches of peat and keep it damp. The further down, the more damp. The blondi can then somewhat regulate it's own comfort by how deep it burrows.

Botar

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i keep about 2-2 1/2 inches of peat moss and potting soil but i've put 2 hiding places (a tipped over plant pot and a small cardboard box) will this make up for the lost room to burrow?

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That probably won't be much of an issue. If it wants to burrow, it will burrow under the cardboard box. Just keep the substrate damp. Good luck... they are awesome T's.

Botar

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by Nixy
Um.
Yep.
What an awesome idea! Radiant heat, looks cool and your plant setup with painted background and red foreground (?) lighting makes it look like a 70's dinosaur movie set. :) Which is a good thing.

bill

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
bill.
I sprinkled a bit of red flourecent sand into the soil mix and have a blacklight in the room which just gives the whole thing that weird glowy look.
The background is literaly valantines day clingwrap layered to make it opaque and add depth. It's behind the enclosier glass.
I Had our baby blondi in there but thought it was a big big for it so put it in a smaller thing.
But lost him a month later to a bad molt.
Now that's Tanzi's enclosier. Our female A. huriana. I Sware every T I set near that thing is attracted to that darn lava lamp.
They Cling right at it, even if they're to far to feel the heat of it, which doesn't seem to overheat the enclosier at all.
It stays about 80 degrees in there all the time.
But set the other encloseiers around in front of it and you have T's all clinging in that direction.
I've noticed it on a glitter lamp too.
One made with glitter instead of lava. Put it in the middle and place the T's anclosiers around it and the all head for the closest point, even with a stronger heat source avaliable.
I know. I've tried it when I noticed how weird this was.
I don't know what it is that draws them, the light, color, movement.
T's Just seem to like lava and glitter lamps.
Going to see how they react to a storm lamp one day.
See if they act the same way.

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
Nixy, do you have a lava lamp in your T's enclosure ?? Btw, your posts remind me of free style poetry. :)

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They do?
I have written a few poems.
Won't torture anyone with them though.
I do a bit of writting.
Or, um, what I call writting for want of a better word.
And yep.
I have some really weird enclosiers for out T's.

LunarFaery

ArachnoDiva
Old Timer
Originally posted by Nixy
They do?
I have written a few poems.
Won't torture anyone with them though.
I do a bit of writting.
Or, um, what I call writting for want of a better word.
And yep.
I have some really weird enclosiers for out T's.
I would like some ideas on enclosures. Yours look great, and from what I understand there are times thats all you get to see=D

Jen

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
(grins)
which is why I started getting the twins to help me really Decorate the things...
So there's something to look at besides dirt.. and when the T Is out.
It looks awsome inside...

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
That looks really cool. But does a lava lamp give off any heat ? :confused: