substrate for a t. blondi???

BullF-16

Arachnopeon
I agree with "The Eternal", humidity is very important to this T. Mine is now about 7 inches after a fresh molt. Had her for 5 weeks now. She's refused food since i got her a month ago. She was a cinnamon red color prior to molt now a deep brown color post molt. Took a week for her to eat since the molt now cant give her enough lizzards. Substrate is good just keep the humidity up to about 80-90 % esp if you suspect a molt. I caught her in the act of molting and got some great pics, answers alot of questions about a fairly advanced T and their associated problems.

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by Static_69
thanks for the tip...i have a humidity strip in but i think the thing is retarded because it reads 100% humidity and i know thats damn near impossible unless i had the soil and moss dripping wet which it isn't.
Those strips are notoriously inaccurate. I've gone to gauges exclsuively in vivaria where I feel I really need them (most tarantulas don't), but good ones tend to be expensive.

Nixy, I love the look of your lava lamp vivarium, but did you say that was a terrestrial tarantula in there? It looks as though there's a lot more than a legspan's distance between the top of substrate and the lid of the vivarium.

Joy

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Originally posted by kellygirl
Please don't use retarded as an adjective. It's disrespectful. Thanks!

kellygirl
Come on, Kelly... political correctness is gay. ;)

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Joy
Those strips are notoriously inaccurate. I've gone to gauges exclsuively in vivaria where I feel I really need them (most tarantulas don't), but good ones tend to be expensive.

Nixy, I love the look of your lava lamp vivarium, but did you say that was a terrestrial tarantula in there? It looks as though there's a lot more than a legspan's distance between the top of substrate and the lid of the vivarium.

Joy
Yep joy they are. But I caught them on sale and tested them against a few good ones and keep an eye on them. And for some weird reason the T's seem to like those to lounge on better then anything else in the enclosiers. That one is propped in the corner, it's deep enough for the T to louge on the top curve of the leaf shape, or cling to the side of it. It has velcro tabs to make sure it doesn't fall over with the T.
I don't even bother hanging them. I just sit them down or prop them here and there. Whatever looks cute and the Twins decide. I have a couple of good guages I keep tabs on the entire room with.
I Had a terestrial in there. That was before I got a hold of a few ten gallons with leg room and before I knew better.
Now it's the home of our lovely lady A.huriana Tanzi.
The other side of This case, (I have a few of them I built for a few of my dagger collections but have since wall mounted them), is ready for another aboreal. But the twins want to deck that side out in blue. So I guess I'll revamp it then.

Spider_savior, the lamp Does give off heat. Anyone that owns them knows they give off a good bit too. But the enclosier is big and tall and relatively deep, and very well ventalated and it never gets over 80 -82 degrees over all inside there. I have checked it a dozen times with some Real good guages I got just to keep my paranoid mind at ease on the temp matters.
The T's seem to love them though. They don't climb directly on them but hang around them Alot.
It's a very warm spot ion the back corner of it that gets about 90 degrees while the rest of the enclosier sits at about 77 most times. the 'cool' side directly diagnal to the lamp is about 75. The middle ground being nice and stable.
I'm going to be testing T's and storm lamps soon. To see if their attracted to them. I have a few, and if the T's show attraction or ignore them altother I might just set the blue side of that enclosier up with one.
If it upsets the T in anyway I won't.
I was Very very careful testing temperature ranges with the lava lamp LONG before the T took up residence. Then tested the T buy watching closly how it reacted to it when it was introduced and where she went once she setled in.

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ooo don't leave the lava lamp on too long...i've heard if they get too hot they may crack and leak or may even blow out...

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't Static. It's usualy on at night and off during the day.

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well thats good, i could only imagine would could happen to a poor T if a lava lamp exploded in its cage..