Substrate... Damp or Dry for Lasiodora parahybana

Heather

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Heres what I do...

keep the majority of the tank dry, but keep a full waterdish all the time and overfill it every once in awhile. Works perfectly for my adult female.

10 gallon is perfect for a fully grown L.parahybana. What size is yours at now?

Heather

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have not measured her... but she is well into adulthood. The info on her data sheets goes all the way back to 1995. I am not certain how to measure, so I can't even give a guess.

I will be getting her later this week along with the adult OBT.

Thanks for the info!

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I have one maybe 2" that I got as a wee baby, and even when it had a full bottlecap to drink from (before it buried it and I gave up), it LOVED wet dirt. It will actually climb the walls if the dirt gets too dry for its liking, and only go back down when it realizes I've poured water in again.

So...slightly damp if your tarantula likes it, I guess. Don't pour in so much water that it turns to mud, and let the tank dry out sometimes so you don't get mold. Of course if yours starts going up the walls and avoiding the wet dirt, maybe it's just mine being quirky. :)

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have not measured her... but she is well into adulthood. The info on her data sheets goes all the way back to 1995. I am not certain how to measure, so I can't even give a guess.

I will be getting her later this week along with the adult OBT.

Thanks for the info!
Oh then she must be pretty big, since L.parahybana can reach full adulthood in like under 3-5 years.

To measure a T, measure it from leg I on one side and then leg IV on the opposite side. That is a diagonal legspan. Some people mesure the legs on the same side.

Good luck with her and the OBT. {D

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i agree - i keep my big girl with mostly dry substrate and overflow her waterdish once a week so that part of the substrate gets moist. np so far, and i'vw had her for a while ;)

KaineSoulblade

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mine likes it damp as well. Not saturated, but damp. In addition to a full water dish at all times. If the dirt gets too dry it sits around on top and wont make any burrows.

They are not desert T's like roses, so slightly damp is your best bet though I'm sure some keep them just like roses without health issues.

Heather

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I brought her home today!

She has been in the same enclosure for years... I got her into the 'to go' container without an ounce of problems! But on the way out, into her new home, she kicked up a hella cloud of hairs! In the, almost 2 years, I have been caring for her, she has Never done that!

Needless to say she is STRESSED! How long should I wait to feed her, a week or 2? Is it ok to take a few pics?

Thanks!

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I feed all "new" Ts within hours of recieving them, and only the DOAs and premolt ones have ever refused. I would feed now. It'll calm her down if she does eat.

pinkfoot

Arachnolord
Old Timer
To answer both questions...

I keep my substrate moist, never damp, with a dry area in a corner. Waterdishes are regularly overturned so are useless IMO, but I faithfully keep 'em filled! :?

I always give the T a chance to settle in before feeding. Provided she's been correctly kept, she can manage until the stress of the move is over, say three or four days on.

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
besides the suggestions on overflowing the water dish, you can just mist half of the enclosures substrate in addition to keeping a full water dish. perhaps that will allow you to see what condition she prefers the ground cover in.

Arachnomaniak

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have kept all of mine successfully on slightly moist substrate with a water dish as well. This seems to make them more comfortable while in hides/burrows and helps along the molting process.