Substrate changing

pauls

Arachnopeon
How often should substrate be changed? I have a rosie who lives on a peat/vermiculite mixture. I've had it for about a week now, so it should be good for a while. I'm just wondering when I should change it and what to look for to know it needs changing. Thanks

-Paul

Seath

Arachnopeon
Most agree has long has you are removing the food remains regularly. Then the substrate should be good for about 6 months. The exception to this would be some kind of infestation, which would make me change it right away..

jason

rob

Got Inverts?
Old Timer
Let me add another question to pauls':
How do you change out the substrate for a fast aggressive arboreal species like an ornamental? How do you get the T out into another temporary container so you can clean out his tank? I saw gillian's thread about transferring a blondi and it was helpful, but what if I have a ten gallon aquarium on its side, do I just reach in through the opening and go for it? What if its a cobalt and he's burrowed under, do you dig him out? BTW, just using the word "carefully" is not an answer to my first question. Give me your routine on how you do it. Thanks.

Last edited:

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Barring any outbreaks of mites, baby crickets or serious mold, I have never changed the substrate in ANY of my tarantulas or other invertebrates enclosures. I just keep up with regular spot maintenance. Do you think there's a substrate fairy that goes around and changes the dirt in their homes in the wild? :D

Just my 0.02¢

Scott

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by mrderanged
. Do you think there's a substrate fairy that goes around and changes the dirt in their homes in the wild? :D

Scott, you are a funny guy. LMAO =D

Ernie

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Pauls,
Alot of people change the substrate after their T's molt. An adult T will molt about once a year as you know. Of course I would wait a couple weeks after the molt to change it.;) Or when ever they move their T to a larger enclosure..

Ernie

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
As for coralling the tarantula before changing substrate, this is what I do for my A. geniculata:

1. I normally keep my 5" geniculata in a 10 gal aquarium.
2. When I want to change substrate, I take the lid off and put a small critter keeper in the the tank with the lid off.
3. Making sure that the critter keeper is on its side, I use some tongs to brush the back legs of the spider to get it to move.
4. While it is moving, I guide it toward the critter keeper.
5. When it gets into the critter keeper, i tip the critter keeper up with the tongs and then snap the lid on real quick.

Jon

Seath

Arachnopeon
Originally posted by mrderanged
Do you think there's a substrate fairy that goes around and changes the dirt in their homes in the wild? :D

Just my 0.02¢

Scott
I was leaning towards the moving truck fairy ;P

But really, in the wild if the burrow/hide/whatever home became uninhabitial whose to say the T would not relocate to a new home. Which isn't all that possible in a small enclosure.

jason