Substrate Ball?

Bengal21

Arachnopeon
Tonight I grabbed a pinktoe from a pet store for 12 bucks. I don't typically like to buy an unidentified animal but I said what the hey. I posted a couple of pics in the "ID this T" section of this page. I am using some coconut bark as my substrate, it's very fine. I fed her a few appropriately sized crickets, and she's got the bolus in her mouth, eating normally, from what I can tell. What is odd is this: she's made a ball almost matching her body size of substrate and she's sitting on top of it. It almost looks like she's made an egg sac out of substrate. She hasn't dropped much webbing yet, from what I can tell. There may be a little. Any ideas what this behavior means.

Bengal21

Arachnopeon
So, this morning I got up, and she has rolled the ball out of her "hide" a few inches from the door. The cricket parts seem to be wrapped up inside it. she rolled up the remainder of her lunch in a ball of coconut shavings and wrapped it in a neat little package, then set it out on the curb for the garbage man to come collect.

mhill

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My female N. chromatus and female G. rosea both do this. The chromatus lays own a silk mat, deposits crix remains on it, then gathers it up in a ball and dumps it in her water dish. She usually poops in her dish as well so I am constantly cleanin it out.
The rosea lays down a fairly large silk mat as well and deposits crix remains on it then rolls it up like you would roll up a rug...in a tube shape. Amazing to watch them "clean house" the way they do.

Bengal21

Arachnopeon
If i pooped on the rug and then rolled it up and put it on the curb I wouldn't be allowed to live here for very long. Tarantulas are spoiled.