Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Substrate and isopods

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by MiaPow, Jul 7, 2019.

1. MiaPow

MiaPow Arachnopeon Active Member

Advertisement
    I’m thinking of adding isopods to a scorpion tank after I have it set up, but later down the road when it comes to cleaning the tank and replacing the substrate how does everyone possibly remove all the isopods especially if they have been reproducing? Do people ever manage to get all the isopods removed?

2. The babies (manca) are really small and burrow, it's almost impossible to get all of them out. Usually you just accept losses, if they've been reproducing a lot it won't be that big a hit.

3. Just dump out the substrate into a different container? Can't throw away isopods if you don't throw anything in the bin.

4. bobthehobo9

bobthehobo9 ArachnoPilot Old Timer

Part of the reason for keeping isopods is so you don't have to dump the substrate as they should break down the majority of the organic waste. I usually keep some separate containers in which I raise colonies of dwarf white isopods and springtails. If/when I change out the substrate I just grab new isopods and toss them into the clean enclosure.

5. krbshappy71

krbshappy71 Arachnosquire

New to scorpions (don't have one yet) are isopods safe for them? I was reading that scorpions molt, won't the isopods get a hold of them while they molt? I currently have T's without isopods for this reason. Thank you in advance.

6. Personally I would not use isopods with inverts. I used to think dwarf whites were safe, but I've also heard stories of them eating healthy adult scorpions. You have to think of isopods more like shrimp than millipedes, they're opportunistic feeders.

• Like Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.