Substrate advice for jumping spiders

art84

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone! first time spider keeper and first post on here..

I've purchased a male & female phidippus regius "regal" J.S that are around 6-8mm which are currently growing out in two separate mini enclosures but I need some advice about substrate for my two
larger future enclosures that I'm currently setting up for J.S. I have done some research previously and knew that they don't need a bioactive setup as long as you mist the sides so they can drink water and keep at the right temperature also with lots of light, I've purchased a few
items so far (will list below) my question is..If I want to use live moss for example do I HAVE to use a bioactive setup for the moss ? as it could potentially make the coco husk that I've been using
for substrate quite damp long term and possibly mold etc when I water it?. Not sure on the best way to go at this point..I would like to have some moss in there as I'll be using a fake plant along with the branches but I like the moss on the ground look! if I have
to go the bioactive route I guess i'd only need a few more things like stones, mesh, carbon, soil?. I have looked online but can't find much concrete info that helps.

Many thanks for any advice.

So far I've purchased these items-
coco husk substrate (that's all I've used so far for in the mini enclosures with some twigs)
forest branch, cut down to size
exo terra forrest moss brick
small bag of Forrest bark

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
No spider or tarantula needs a bioactive setup, nor do snakes for that matter.

Bioactive is a new trend to sucker people into products.

Moss and bright light do not work.

I used moss and did not have a bioactive anything- this bio crap is just that CRAP.

art84

Arachnopeon

I used moss and did not have a bioactive anything- this bio crap is just that CRAP.

I know it doesn't need that for a spider, it's more a question of drainage for the moss and or/preventing possible mold, the enclosure does have good cross ventilation top to bottom. The lights are 10w L.E.D's one for each enclosure about 30cm height from the bottom of the enclosure (where the moss will be) running 12hrs on 12hrs off, not sure on the lumens or par/pur it has!..

do you think that light would be alright for not killing the moss?. Interesting to hear your opinion on it being a farce! I know about keeping fish and there's a lot of the false advertising or repackaging something and selling it for 10 times more
but for animal terrariums I have no experience apart from buying my girlfriend a plant terrarium last year for some succulents!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I know it doesn't need that for a spider, it's more a question of drainage for the moss and or/preventing possible mold, the enclosure does have good cross ventilation top to bottom. The lights are 10w L.E.D's one for each enclosure about 30cm height from the bottom of the enclosure (where the moss will be) running 12hrs on 12hrs off, not sure on the lumens or par/pur it has!..

do you think that light would be alright for not killing the moss?. Interesting to hear your opinion on it being a farce! I know about keeping fish and there's a lot of the false advertising or repackaging something and selling it for 10 times more
but for animal terrariums I have no experience apart from buying my girlfriend a plant terrarium last year for some succulents!
I can’t visualize how bright that is. Bright light makes them go brown

Nicole C G

Arachnoangel
if you want moss, you can always get dried moss or fake moss. Otherwise not a very good idea, because bio active enclosures aren’t good for jumpers unless you REALLY know what you’re doing (meaning have a lot of experience with both jumper keeping and terrariums)

azal

Arachnopeon
paper towels are a good option and they will be easy to clean too or you could use coco-pith, it holds moisture

CRX

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Jumpers honestly do not need substrate.

ThatSquareChick

Arachnopeon

I am new to this as well, it started as wanting to build a terrarium and then the spiders came later. No spider needs a bio active tank but they’re fun to set up and it’s a healthy challenge to keep them running

I have “some” experience with mosses and I find that some will tolerate brighter light if it’s kept slightly damp at all times. Cushion moss and feather moss are very common and will do well in a terrarium. Spiders need tall things to climb and you can use those things to provide a little bit of cover from the direct light.
I’m really cheap, I just get dollar store fake flowers, cut them and then use poster tacky to anchor them to the sides. This way I can move stuff around and there’s no glue at all. The leaves and flowers give the moss a cover and so they’re not growing in direct light.

moss is really fun because you can do whatever you want with it, including drying it out and some will even grow again when rehydrated. You can throw it in a tank with regular old potting soil and as long as it’s kinda humid, that moss will grow.

Newspoodmom

Arachnopeon

Jumping spiders need light as they have excellent eye sight and use it for hunting and catching prey.

ThatSquareChick

Arachnopeon
I’d believe I was being suckered if it were companies trying to sell me active setups. So far it just sounds like people who like spiders and other things + terrariums and have no idea how to set up either.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Jumping spiders need light as they have excellent eye sight and use it for hunting and catching prey.
They do? Are you sure? This may require a study…No way 😂

Light in a box is NOT a bioactive setup jeez :banghead: :rofl:

Newspoodmom

Arachnopeon
They do? Are you sure? This may require a study…No way 😂

Light in a box is NOT a bioactive setup jeez :banghead: :rofl:
I didn’t say it was a bio active set-up, I didn’t say it had to be in the box! I simply said they need light. I didn’t say artificial light either. I open the curtains and make sure I don’t put them in direct sunlight. I have over 150 jumping spiders all thriving.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I didn’t say it was a bio active set-up, I didn’t say it had to be in the box! I simply said they need light. I didn’t say artificial light either. I open the curtains and make sure I don’t put them in direct sunlight. I have over 150 jumping spiders all thriving.
Then I have no idea why you replied to my post as I specifically wrote about bioactive setups!

Be more clear next time what the hell you are referring to 😉

Jumpers have light in a box, ie photons 😉 doesn’t matter the source in this context.

Newspoodmom

Arachnopeon
Then I have no idea why you replied to my post as I specifically wrote about bioactive setups!

Be more clear next time what the hell you are referring to 😉

Jumpers have light in a box, ie photons 😉 doesn’t matter the source in this context.
You said they didn’t need a bio active set-up, which I 100% agree. In that statement you mentioned moss and bright light do not work. I probably shouldn’t have tagged your comment but the op who asked - just clarifying that they actually DO need light just like humans.

CRX

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Jumping spiders do not even need substrate. If you want to put some coco fiber down thats fine, but aside from high humidity species, most jumpers don't need it.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You said they didn’t need a bio active set-up, which I 100% agree. In that statement you mentioned moss and bright light do not work. I probably shouldn’t have tagged your comment but the op who asked - just clarifying that they actually DO need light just like humans.
Yep was not clear. Moss and bright light do not work at least in the wild. Meaning direct sunlight. That was what I meant originally. I wasn't clear there.

regalpaws

Arachnoknight
Direct sunlight isn't good - the enclosure will heat up very fast and it basically is the same thing as when a car sits in the sun for too long, it heats up more than the actual outside temperature and can "cook" your spiders.
Jumpers do need some light tho, it does aid in their eyesight and hunting.
I've used live moss without a bioactive set up, it's fine 😄

regalpaws

Arachnoknight
Jumping spiders do not even need substrate. If you want to put some coco fiber down thats fine, but aside from high humidity species, most jumpers don't need it.
Yes and I haven't kept too many dryer species, I have 3 different kinds but I've noticed that my P. regius definitely need substrate to maintain humidity.

regalpaws

Arachnoknight
Hi everyone! first time spider keeper and first post on here..

I've purchased a male & female phidippus regius "regal" J.S that are around 6-8mm which are currently growing out in two separate mini enclosures but I need some advice about substrate for my two
larger future enclosures that I'm currently setting up for J.S. I have done some research previously and knew that they don't need a bioactive setup as long as you mist the sides so they can drink water and keep at the right temperature also with lots of light, I've purchased a few
items so far (will list below) my question is..If I want to use live moss for example do I HAVE to use a bioactive setup for the moss ? as it could potentially make the coco husk that I've been using
for substrate quite damp long term and possibly mold etc when I water it?. Not sure on the best way to go at this point..I would like to have some moss in there as I'll be using a fake plant along with the branches but I like the moss on the ground look! if I have
to go the bioactive route I guess i'd only need a few more things like stones, mesh, carbon, soil?. I have looked online but can't find much concrete info that helps.

Many thanks for any advice.

So far I've purchased these items-
coco husk substrate (that's all I've used so far for in the mini enclosures with some twigs)
forest branch, cut down to size
exo terra forrest moss brick
small bag of Forrest bark
I have just added some springtails to my enclosures and as far as your question on the mold, you can add those guys and they will keep up with the mold.
But just keep your soil slightly damp but not soggy. I've noticed for me, I don't need to spray the soil more than once a week. Don't leave it soggy for too long; that's where the mold will pop up. Just let it dry out in-between sprays and if the humidity gets low, spray it down a bit. 😄

ForTW

Arachnobaron
Bright sunlight will burn moss so will a 75W heatlamp, LED will not.

Substrate, yes.
Moss, sure.
Add springtails.

Keep an eye in good vent.
A 10W lamp will be appriciated by the Spider.

Enjoy.

P.s. i have 151 Jumpers.