Subspinipes macro pics

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just been playing with my new camera, here's some pictures of my Vietnamese subspinipes feeding on a couple of crickets.

Cheers,

Dan.

Attachments

Jasonic

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
CRICKET CAM!!.....

In the movie world we often refer to these kinds of shots with some kind of snappy POV (point of view) reference.

Nice shots! It didn't try and kill the camera?

-jasonic

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
:} :} :} very nice

i really like those dark colors of your Subspines, he looks "evil":cool:

great=D

greetz

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks, He only molted about two weeks ago, so he's got a nice colour to him at the moment. I took away the molt just after it finished, so he didn't eat it. I'll try and post some pics of it later.

Cheers,

Dan.

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
I took away the molt just after it finished
mmm, i tought they needed the molted skin, to feed on, and for proteïne :?
or is that just an incorrect tale?

greetz

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, thats what i heard, but it's also meant to be an artifact of living in captivity. Apparently it is common to find cast off centipede skins in the wild, making me think that i wasn't goiing to do any harm to my pede by taking it away. Interestingly, it didn't fully start to eat until about 2 weeks after the molt. Maybe taking the skin away increased the time period needed to recover after a molt, as it is usually about 1 week before my pedes start feeding again. I don't think i'll be doing it again, but at the time it seemed too good an opportunity to miss, as it wasn't actually feeding on the skin when i found it immediately after it finished molting.
Anyway, here's a couple of pics of the very dry and fragile exoskeleton. Its amazing how a 8inch+ pede produces and exoskeleton that shrinks down so small.

Cheers,

Dan.

Attachments

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
head shot, or whats left of the head, i was hoping for the molt to still have the fangs on it, as i wanted to have a good look at them, but it seems they were eaten as the pede molted.

Attachments

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
very impressive and educative picts :)

nice work