Stupid thermo and OCD

Dreadlock Wolf

Arachnopeon
Im at my wits end with this heat regulation mission im on,

i dont know if its a crappy thermometer or crappy heat pad thats messing things up. Its reading at 18c in her tank.. i cant get it higher.. unless i turn my house heating on and then it stays at 21c. The heat pad on my tank has a dial and even when its turned up to 30c the thermometer in the tank barely changes.

am i obbsessing too much.. the guy in the reptile store said 25c is ideal. i can barely reach that it seems. Its way to freakin expensive to run my house heating all day and night and its kinda chilly indoors being winter.. i dont want to freeze the kness of my poor new t..

What do you guys do for heat regulation??

and is 18c dangerously cold?

Oh shes a Chilli Rose
:barf:

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
and is 18c dangerously cold?

Oh shes a Chilli Rose
:barf:
No, it isn't IME. We keep our Ts in about that temp right now, well the thermometer says 65 F right now, but it is usually around 64. That is right where you are temp wise and we have no problems. Your G. rosea should be just fine. I wouldn't want it to drop below 60 F myself though.

18C = 64.4F

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm with curious on this one.
I'll add one other point though--perhaps your heatpad or temp gauge is broken?

Dreadlock Wolf

Arachnopeon
Thanks guys for the help..

Nice signature curious..

the heat pad def feels warm...

doesnt feel like 18c in my house as my hands are freezing, but hopefully its that in her tank. its a plastic one with lots of air vents so it wouldnt contain heat super well. Im obbsess over <edit> like this.

Just dont want to make her suffer :(

Last edited by a moderator:

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks guys for the help..

Nice signature curious..

the heat pad def feels warm...

doesnt feel like 18c in my house as my hands are freezing, but hopefully its that in her tank. its a plastic one with lots of air vents so it wouldnt contain heat super well. Im obbsess over <edit> like this.

Just dont want to make her suffer :(
Honestly, if you are comfortable, the T is probably comfortable. And I mean "comfortable," not "this kind of sucks, but I can deal with it." That's if you keep it at room temp, no supplemental heat. If it isn't curling up in a deathcurl or stresscurl, but is stretched out and relaxed looking, it is probably fine.

I'd be more concerned with the fact that you are cold--is the heat to your house broken perhaps? Your T is on a heatpad, so I wouldn't wouldn't worry just yet unless it changes behavior.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dreadlock Wolf

Arachnopeon
I'd be more concerned with the fact that you are cold--is the heat to your house broken perhaps? Your T is on a heatpad, so I wouldn't wouldn't worry just yet unless it changes behavior.[/QUOTE]

{D{D

thanks for your concern, well it is merry old london at christmas so its super cold. As we speak im sitting with a blanket over me watching everyone loves raymond, thats why im worred about my T.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The only thing I would suggest is maybe verifying the temp gauge reading is accurate. If it is, then you have nothing to worry about. Without the heatpad, then I'd be worried, but IMO, you've taken the necessary precautions. The other thing I'll point out is that T's are very resilient to temp fluctuations, so, unless the temp gauge is off by a signficant margin--and it probably isn't--I wouldn't worry about it.

ryancreek

Arachnopeon
Might be a bad heating pad. I'm a little surprised it's not warmer than that. But I'm pretty new so if the experts here say it's okay then I'd stop worrying. However, I use undertank heaters (or on the side with my OBT) and I get a temperature gradient from about 30C to 22C. 30C on the heater side, 22C on opposite side. The T's then find what temp they like best somewhere in between.

Last edited:

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Might be a bad heating pad. I'm a little surprised it's not warmer than that. But I'm pretty new so if the experts here say it's okay then I'd stop worrying. However, I use undertank heaters (or on the side with my OBT) and I get a temperature gradient from about 30C to 22C. 30C on the heater side, 22C on opposite side. The T's then find what temp they like best somewhere in between.
I am not an expert, just to clarify. ;) I have only been in the hobby 3 years. :) The advice is offered from my experience though, so not a newbie, but definitely not an expert.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I am not an expert, just to clarify. ;) I have only been in the hobby 3 years. :) The advice is offered from my experience though, so not a newbie, but definitely not an expert.
I've only been in the hobby for real a little over a year (had a G.rosea for like, four years?), but I'll take the "expert." ;)