Stupid, stupid man.

Robert Jordan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
OK. Whoever he is, I, for what it's worth, have chosen not to respect his decision to put a Blondi on his face. People generally have a hard enough time understanding, let alone respecting, why some people enjoy keeping tarantulas. This clip reinforces the incorrect notion, which most people have, that people who keep tarantulas are irresponsible psychos who just go for shock effect in order to get attention. I encounter these assumptions all the time, which is why the clip pissed me off.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't think he was going for shock value.

It looks like he was trying to help show tarantulas are being not harmless in the way most people think, but also showing the hidden protective agent that the general human population knows nothing of.

In the process of it, something happened, he used it to his advantage to show something else, & he calmly demonstrated what to do.

Heck, there was some guy who had a tv show last year, or maybe the year before, where it revolved around him getting bit by bugs.

If there isn't a danger of dying, sometimes it can be educational to see something in action.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think there are a couple of good messages from this video.

1. He was handling the "worlds largest spider" and didn't get bit. There may be some therapeutic effect here for some people that suffer from arachnophobia. Videos of people handling tarantulas were a part of what helped me with my arachnophobia several years ago.

2. By showing the hairs get flicked by his face and the irritation that it caused afterward shows that you always need understand that no matter what, as nice as these creatures seem, they are still wild and need to be respected as such.

Last edited: