Stupid roaches!

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok, so I took the jump some time ago, and bought roaches, but the darn things wont breed! They have water crystals, get fruit once a week, and live on oats(the man in the petshop said they liked to both eat it and burrow in it.)

They have eggcrates, enough room. I can't wrap me head around it. What am I doing wrong?

Oh, and I have 4 mature females, and two mature males.

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
How long has it been, and are you keeping them warm? They may just need a little more time. B. dubia?

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
B.dubia, yes. Had them for.. a month? Keeping them at same temp as spideys, around 26 celsius.

I was told that in those conditions it would take a couple weeks for it to take off..

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I would give it more time. Warmer temps couldn't hurt; in the summertime I like to keep my dubia in a closet upstairs with no central AC, it has to get into the upper 80s lower 90s in there, and they just explode. But I also have to keep a closer eye on them for mold and mites. Good luck and have patience.

I'd love to visit Oslo someday; some artwork there I am dying to see in person. :D

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would give it more time. Warmer temps couldn't hurt; in the summertime I like to keep my dubia in a closet upstairs with no central AC, it has to get into the upper 80s lower 90s in there, and they just explode. But I also have to keep a closer eye on them for mold and mites. Good luck and have patience.

I'd love to visit Oslo someday; some artwork there I am dying to see in person. :D
Yeah, I love my little city! No matter where you are, there is never more than 5 mins to a park. We also have our wee islands in the fjord..

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It takes at least 2 months for a Dubia colony to get going and I bought loads more than you.....

I bought 35 MM 35 AF 150 SA and 200 nymphs sooooo your just gonna have to wait, although your set up sounds about right :)

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Alrighty then.. I bought more, but fed some off.. Well, I'm just gonna wait then.. Need to get some wee ones, my poor darlingi looks starved after its molt.. Poor baby..

Midknight xrs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i would try to get it above 30C, i have mine in my room and it get's over 33c in here, one decided to pop out about 25 or so yesterday. makes up for the 50 i've fed off in the last two months.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
I seem to have a similar problem. Have been keeping my dubia for 2 months. 82-85 degrees. The one and only mature female died the first day.. Then i had like 10 males mature.. Finally i have been getting mature females. Seems i got sent a bunch of penultimate males. :wall: Hoping mine start laying in the next month or so. On a side note my hissers are tearing through anything i feed them :eek: They grow soo fast! :cool:

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You can try feeding them oranges. It's said to make them breed faster. I currently have half an orange on my dubia cage. They're consuming it pretty quickly ad I've noticed a lot more nymphs, moltings, and roaches maturing.

I'm not sure if I can attribute that increase to the feeding of oranges, but it's definitely worth a shot. High temps and humidity and still important like always :)

RoachesRUS

Arachnopeon
dubia care

Hi, I am a breeder and supplier of Dubia roaches. You may want to try some apple slices or some cucumber slices. Orange slices are great, just check back after a few days so as to not get any mold or what not. Also you can use a heat pad and make sure the heat pad is on the opposite side of the food and water. If anyone has any questions or needs any dubias just hit me up and I will try my best to help everyone out.

Thanks,
RoachesRUs

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
OK, thanks peeps! Today when I was feeding my babies I noticed a tiny roach that I'm sure wasn't there the last time, so somethings happening!!

Gave em an orange slice today, was gone in like half an hour.. Greedy little pigs!

I think I will get some more though, to get the family going properly. Thanks for all the input!

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Today, I fed a slice of red apple to both my dubia colony and my group of hissers. Both slices were gone when I checked back a few hours later.

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My lats never produced babies either and I had a ton of adults. Then again, maybe I don't know what I am looking for and cleaned the enclosure too often and got rid of them?

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
My lats never produced babies either and I had a ton of adults. Then again, maybe I don't know what I am looking for and cleaned the enclosure too often and got rid of them?
Possibly. I read that temperature is a big deal for breeding. If they are not 85-90 They wont breed well. Feel free to elaborate/correct on my post.

Treynok

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mine usually sits around 70-80 F and they breed fairly well, but I notice a huge difference from summer to winter breeding here in PA. My lats exploded this summer and I probably have around 5000 now from about 500, I'll let them get colder in the winter to thin them out then they will explode again next summer. My Dubia on the other hand I keep around the same temp and they are breeding very slowly for me. I feed both mostly cheap no dye added dog food and fruit and veggie waste.

I don't think they have to be at a warmer temperature to breed they just do it more slowly, like how they move and metabolize slower when it's colder. I like doing variable temperature and conditions with my roaches to see how it affects them overall as a colony. The longer I have them the more I will learn.

It may be that the females don't expend energy to make an oothe when colder as it could be life threatening to them to expend so much energy if it is cold enough. I get a lot less oothes in the winter, it isn't like they lay them and they don't hatch they stop laying them in my experience for the 'most' part. You still get some though.

Kathy if you look the females should carry a little "sac" or dark brown capsule around on their butt for a little bit then drop it to the ground where it needs to be left for 2-3 weeks in order to hatch. Proper humidity is important for the molt hatching but if you have successful molts then you should have hatches.

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
Get some B.lateralis. I started with just 8 gravid females and ended up with thousands in a couple of months. Real easy to breed.

[YOUTUBE]ipqgqdAxLow[/YOUTUBE]

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hmmmm, you know I believe I have seen those little brown sacks, just figured it was poop or something. I clean the enclosure out every 2 weeks so I'm sure that is why I am not getting any babies. I keep it about 80 degrees and feed them well. You guys have some you want to share since I am down to about 20 now? Although all of them are adults, maybe if I leave them alone I will get babies in a few weeks?