stupid question, whats this?

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey whats this in my rose hairs tank, its looks like substrait wadded up into balls with webing but i havent seen it before j/w what it is.

another wad

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would say either food bolus or mold. It looks too dry in the tank to be mold though.

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Looks like mold.

-Sean

what the heck this is gay, how could it be molding already!? I put in the new substrait like a few days ago(its cocofiber so it was a lil wet for awhile after i put it in but dried up). Why am i getting mold? Ive kept emps for years on moist cocofiber without any problems.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
G. rosea on moist substrate , its probably webbing matted down to keep the T off the evil moisture in the sbustrate

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
G. rosea on moist substrate , its probably webbing matted down to keep the T off the evil moisture in the sbustrate
ya its the expandable brick kind so it was wet for like a day or 2 but its dried up now

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
ya its the expandable brick kind so it was wet for like a day or 2 but its dried up now
thats the main reason i refuse to use that stuff lol
i use peat moss. i buy it in a bale and its always bone dry so if i need it moist i moisten if i need it dry i dont lol

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Whatever it is, I would remove it if you haven't already.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
m, it's hard to tell from the pics, but if the substrate has dried out it is unlikely to be mould.

i'd say your rosea has webbed up the substrate because she felt uncomfortable with moist feet. just take one of those things out and have a better look - you'll see if it is webbing or something else. mould comes apart when you pic it up, webbing doesn't ;)

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
what the heck this is gay, how could it be molding already!? I put in the new substrait like a few days ago(its cocofiber so it was a lil wet for awhile after i put it in but dried up). Why am i getting mold? Ive kept emps for years on moist cocofiber without any problems.
Gay mould? I believe they're all bisexual... or asexual. Can't remember.

Looks like mould to me. I'd pull it out. Mould can grow pretty fast - especially if it had started in the brick before you added it.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Gay mould? I believe they're all bisexual... or asexual. Can't remember.

Looks like mould to me. I'd pull it out. Mould can grow pretty fast - especially if it had started in the brick before you added it.
only the pink and purple varaities are gay, the others are somethign else ...

Ponders the ramifications of gay mold...or even moldy gays... never mind i dont think mold counts when it comes to sexual orientation lol

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
m, it's hard to tell from the pics, but if the substrate has dried out it is unlikely to be mould.

i'd say your rosea has webbed up the substrate because she felt uncomfortable with moist feet. just take one of those things out and have a better look - you'll see if it is webbing or something else. mould comes apart when you pic it up, webbing doesn't ;)
k ill take a look, upon looking closer it looks to be webbing but ill pick it up with some tongs and see...

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
only the pink and purple varaities are gay, the others are somethign else ...

Ponders the ramifications of gay mold...or even moldy gays... never mind i dont think mold counts when it comes to sexual orientation lol
That's a little insulting. Surely the bioluminescent varieties bend it both ways...

I have met a few mouldy gays. I've never enquired as to the orientation of mould itself. They are quite androgenous... I can't tell the boys from the girls.

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Given that the mould seems to be clustered in what looks like damper spots, I'm quite confident that it's mould. Probably straight mould - they don't have anywhere near the manners of the gay mould. Besides, that whole 'grey/blue' thing was SOOO last year. Only straight mould would make that mistake.

It doesn't look like webbing either. That clumpy effect looks like budding mycorhizae (SP?!) to me.

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Given that the mould seems to be clustered in what looks like damper spots, I'm quite confident that it's mould. Probably straight mould - they don't have anywhere near the manners of the gay mould. Besides, that whole 'grey/blue' thing was SOOO last year. Only straight mould would make that mistake.

It doesn't look like webbing either. That clumpy effect looks like budding mycorhizae (SP?!) to me.
can you give up the "gay" comment already, getin old. Anyway ill go check now and report back.

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
alright, im pretty sure it isnt mold....they were both a small chunk of substrait that was still moist, and i peeled the top lawer off which turned out to be webbing. I broke up the wet substrait so it will dry soon, thanks guys

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Why am i getting mold? Ive kept emps for years on moist cocofiber without any problems.
Because tarantulas sometimes leave large balls of liquid cricket/digestive juice/web that easily molds on wet substrate. Scorpions don't usually leave as much. Centipedes can be worse.

-Sean

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
you have to understand... some of us find using gay in the pejorative very stupid and insulting. Ace was a lot nicer about it than i typically am :)

Sometimes i just put people on my "Ignorant Ignore List" and am done with them... sometimes i put them on my "Shark Bait" list and mess with them for years... sometimes i just let it go. heh.

also, in anything that dries irregularily the wettest spots tend to support mold growth from bolus or left over food parts. if your spider has a refuse bin side of the cage try to water the other side

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Because tarantulas sometimes leave large balls of liquid cricket/digestive juice/web that easily molds on wet substrate. Scorpions don't usually leave as much. Centipedes can be worse.

-Sean
yea, its only been fed one cricket since it was in there and ate the whole thing(i was watchin most of the time lol). So yea it dosnt appear to be mold once i broke it up.

btw when i said "gay" it was just an expression, if you were affended i am sorry. But no need to have a "list" because of one thing someone says, perhaps grow some thicker skin? None the less sorry if i affended anyone that wasnt my intentions what-so-ever.

Last edited: