Stupid Question? Possibly...

RatKing216

Arachnopeon
I came across a couple postings lightly that talk about "Highland" and "lowland". What does that mean exactly?

Spidershane1

Arachnoknight
Usually regarding P. subfusca. Some people think that there are two different forms(high/low), and others think that they are just trippin'. Some do appear slightly different, but taxonomists still classify them as the same spider.
I won't even begin to give my opinions on this, as taxonomy is way above my skill level. I have seen subfuscas that do look a lil different, but I've also seen alot of species that vary slightly between each individual.
Use the search function to find alot of heated arguments over this topic. You would swear they were debating abortion or something lol, they get really into it.

RatKing216

Arachnopeon
LOL. I'll just leave that topic be than. I'll just stick with collecting and enjoying the hobby as much as I can. :)

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
In this particular instance "Highland" would be the montane (mountain form) while "Lowland" would be from the lower elevations of the same general area. You may run across the term in other threads on occassion.
Diane

Spidershane1

Arachnoknight
LOL. I'll just leave that topic be than. I'll just stick with collecting and enjoying the hobby as much as I can. :)
Exactly. Unless you are a professional taxonomist, there's plenty more important things to be concerned with regarding tarantulas. Happy collecting :)