Stupid pet store people!!!

Nicole

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have also asked recently who writes the pamphlets for petsmart, and was told "the higher ups".
A lot of the info comes originally from their vendors. Unfortunately, none of them specialize in inverts.

sean-820

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Another problem i hear for petsmart and other chain stores is their policies. All stores are supposed to have similar setups so petsmarts can't just decide to use better products like soil as its not in the chains policies. Their setups are pretty generic for all reptiles and inverts and its stupid how the "higher ups" dont even bother to concider proper care

There are so many easy things that could be easily improved on but they arn't

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Another is to expect to see 10" coco fiber with a burrow and plants in the enclosure.

Those are way over the top unreal expectations. They have them for sale, dont expect to see micro habitats for every single animal they sell on the store. They wouldnt exist then.
You are correct. They need to display the animals for sale and for easy access in the event that a customer wants to purchase one. If you want elaborate habitats and displays, go to a zoo or museum.

I can see making comments if the cage conditions are unhealthy for short term keeping - but expecting much beyond that is pointless.

BlackCat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What do you expect, for the love of God.

One thing is to complaint because they dont have water, or they have 2 or 3 in the same tank...Or they hjave them dead on display...
Another is to expect to see 10" coco fiber with a burrow and plants in the enclosure.

Those are way over the top unreal expectations. They hhave them for sale, dont expect to see micro habitats for every single animal they sell on the store. They wouldnt exist then.

I dont buy ANYTHING besides dirt on the pet stores.ANYTHING.
But to make them change substrate...Thats an inmature expectation.
I have to agree. As far as having a H. lividum on 1" of substrate I can kind of understand. They want people to be able to see it in order to purchase it. If it is hiding in its burrow and someone wants to see what they are buying, they would have to dig it out of the burrow, which would probably stress the spider even more.

HankyPankyRoe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Petco

This one was not really about the employees but a customer wuth his daughter. They were both looking at the reptiles and others and every time they looked the little girl would go gross! Tehn they came across the T.

She asked her Dad about it. Daddy aren't they deadly and you die if you get bit? He say's, well I guess so if you don't get medical help ASAP. ROTFLMBO!

I promptly corrected them:)

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This thread came just in time! I was at petco today getting fish (rosey reds :)) for my garter sanke and when I was passing their rodents I saw one laying upside down (it was dead) and blood and a yellow goo around its genital area:barf:. All the other mice were walking on top of it:barf::(. I was going to tell them about it up front just to notify them but as I was paying for everything I forgot:wall:.

Oh and My petco does a nice job with their g. rosea :)! they just keep it on eco earth with a half log hide (simpler the better) and its not bombarded by a million crickets, like i see at the other pet store near me.

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I used to go to a reptile store called Snakes at Sunset. I saw a 3' iguana in a 40 gallon with a juvenile sulcatta tortoise without a water bowl. I've seen small monitors in cages in which the heat lamps are placed inside the cage, giving the lizard direct access to the lamp. They've had this tegu for a long time that just lies there with its toes twitching wildly. I've spoken with several people about them, and the store doesn't seem to have a good reputation here (at least not amongst experienced keepers anyway).

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
I have to agree. As far as having a H. lividum on 1" of substrate I can kind of understand. They want people to be able to see it in order to purchase it. If it is hiding in its burrow and someone wants to see what they are buying, they would have to dig it out of the burrow, which would probably stress the spider even more.
I agree completely and should have included more information in my original post. My hope is that they stop selling H. lividum . . . I bought their first one because of bad conditions, and he assured me that he could get any species that I wanted from his "new dealer." So, I'm hoping to turn him onto other species that display and sell better. H. lividum is neither a good species to display in a pet shop, or a good species to sell to people who randomly see the pretty blue spider in the tank. :embarrassed:

Bazzgazm

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
We have an H lividium at our local pet store and they too have it on a thin layer of substrate with a small hide.... the reason is so the t can be seen.. Once you get that thing in a deep burrowing setup.. you might as well kiss it goodbye.

So like fran said.. sometimes they'll appreciate the water tips, and the non-communal tips.. but don't expect them to allow something to burrow out of sight and try to sell it.

I did purchase a wc theraphosa species from the petshop locally which some of you would say how dare.. but it was a pretty good looking female at about 1/2 the cost of shipping/purchasing online. And he does decent care for them.. he isn't like me.. he's not going to sit there and watch it for hours.. but he does make sure they have water, humidity, and a hide of some sort. he does know quite a bit like.. where the new "t. blondi's" he's getting were not the same ones from a few years ago and that they're from another area.. but i wouldn't expect him to know that his metallic blue tarantula is likely an e. pulcherrimaklassi

brachybaum

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
also my friend got a B barguamtini labeled as a red leg in san diego lol

I wonder if that friend is me lol? Cause I'm in san diego and have had 2 female baumgartenis I picked up mislabeled, and I knew:D