Stupid Mites!

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I just looked in my chaco goldenknees vial just so I could try and guess how big it is now...and i barely noticed the substrate moving! It is official now! I know where they are coming from and I am NOTNOTNOT ever buying my pinhead crickets from this certainpetstore again. This is the second time after buying from them, that I have gotten mites the same week!
UGGGGGGGGHHHHHH here I go AGAIN!!!!!

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
I didnt know crickets can transfer mites. I heard of this with mites on rates that transfer them to reptiles. I think mites can come from anywhere. If its to moist and humid in my tanks i get all kinds of things walking around.:mad: who knows?:?

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
How does one rid a T of mites? The method that I know of which is used for snakes is a spray that kills them off. Obviously, this isn't feasible with a T. What are some methods of mite eradication?

Bry

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
they are in the substrate..

so basically, i just moved the t into a new vial with papertowel, and changed EVERYTHING. New vial, new substrate, threw everything else away. It is a miserable process.

I dont know if crickets can transfer mites. But the two times I have had them, it has been right after I purchased crickets from a source I dont normally get them from.
And the mites have been only in the T's that I fed those crickets to. (pinhead crickets).

Yes, they are these little tiny white things, barely visible, moving all over the vial.

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
From what I have heard, mites can come from anywhere, crickets, the substrate, moss... I know you can take your T out of its container and either throw the whole container in the freezer over night or in the microwave to kill the mites. If you have a species of T that you can allow the substrate to dry out, that will usually get rid of them too. Good luck:)

Also make sure as you go along, pull out the cricket balls the best you can, mites feed off this type of stuff.

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i found mites in my T cages last night

i have found them in my T cage and my Scrop cage:mad: and im pissed, i threw some crickets in on friday night, and last night i come in and i see something running across the back of my scorp i thought maybe it was nothing then i looked in my T cages and seen them too so what im going to do is throw the cage(taking out the T first) into the microwave this will kill the mites i have dealt with them with my reptiles u also have to do this with other products before you put them in with your aniamls like(bed-a-beast) something i dont use but anywayz it worked before so im going to try it again