Stupid fruit flies

juggalo69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My AGB tank keeps getting infested with fruit flies. Any tips on how to get rid of most of them without having to totally clean the tank? Any tip on keeping them from coming back?

Kendar

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My milli tank is getting them too :( I'm not sure what to do either

petshopguy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I like to use a fabric that is a polyester mesh as a barrier between the cage and its lid. It breathes easily and keeps out the smallest of insects. It is the same material that is used in brine shrimp nets. I also use it as netting to catch tiny insects. I purchase mine from JoAnn Fabrics by the yard. In fact, they often have a 40% off one item coupon and I use it for that. Very cheap netting that catches (or keeps out) just about anything.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have a bunch of carnivorous plants in my aparment. It helps a little (at least, every time I look into a pitcher there's at least five dead fruit flies / gnats).

mindlessvw

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
oh lord i know there are tons of threads on this because we all have this issue!!! i found keeping a fish aquarium lid (solid glass) on there where there are no holes in addition to fly strips(classy?) seemed to cure them...also if you have anything moist like sinks, dishes, towels, or anything they can find to lay eggs in they will stay! I usually could get rid of flies in the cage but they would set up residence else where...that is also part of living in the south:) good luck to you...also, if you do fly strips use the molassis...(sp?) i knew a guy who accidentlly used a fly strip with an insecticide...dare i say what happened next...

juggalo69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
oh lord i know there are tons of threads on this because we all have this issue!!! i found keeping a fish aquarium lid (solid glass) on there where there are no holes in addition to fly strips(classy?) seemed to cure them...also if you have anything moist like sinks, dishes, towels, or anything they can find to lay eggs in they will stay! I usually could get rid of flies in the cage but they would set up residence else where...that is also part of living in the south:) good luck to you...also, if you do fly strips use the molassis...(sp?) i knew a guy who accidentlly used a fly strip with an insecticide...dare i say what happened next...
Don't AGBs need some form of ventilation?