Struggling with the fact that my MM's won't live very long

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
I feel very sad that mature males have much shorter lifespans. I have 2 mature males in my collection at the moment and I'm feeling sad that their time with me is limited. Both have been wonderful tarantulas. I've raised them both from slings/ young juveniles, and they are my first mature males. I feel very attached to them, and I know I'm going to have a difficult time when they pass. They're both gorgeous and I appreciate them for what they are in the moment, but I'm still very sad. How do the rest of you deal with this?

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
I look at them as just being a beautiful part of Nature and that it's a gift to just have them for as long as we do. Taken well care of, a lot of NW mature males can live upwards of three years after their last moult. Just be sure they have lots of fresh water available and offer food about once every two weeks. Even some OW MMs can live for over a year once mature. I have a Harpactira pulchripes that is going on over a year this month and he's still alive and kicking. :)

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
I think people over exaggerate the term short lived. They still live a few years which is good compared to a Mantid or other insects.

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
I try as hard as possible to get them to a breeder or anyone with a female. Makes me feel a lot better bc atleast then they not only got a kush/comfy life but also fulfill their purpose
So far I’ve only had 1 MM die in my care that wasn’t paired

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
My craziest, most defensive T is my MM C. vonwirthi. My only MM. I will indeed miss all of his dramatics!

42184E7E-1FD5-48D0-90C8-6F42B995F35B.jpeg

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Might as well try and find a mate so they can at least fulfill their purpose as that is their instinctual life goal.

Mature males that passed are sad indeed, but at the end of the day I'll just bury them back to the Earth where all dead things return too. I don't like the idea of pinning dead T.'s as it's like looking at a preserved corpse, but it's just me who thinks like that I guess.

KaroKoenig

Arachnobaron
Males of larger species can live two years or longer after their ultimate molt. That's a small hamster's whole live expectancy.

ErikElvis

Newb
I kinda feel bad for the poor guys too. On one hand I can try to give them the best life but in reality all the want to do is find a woman. I should prob let them do that if possible. But I’m not sure the T community around me is thriving.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
I kinda feel bad for the poor guys too. On one hand I can try to give them the best life but in reality all the want to do is find a woman. I should prob let them do that if possible. But I’m not sure the T community around me is thriving.
Yeah, I don't have the means to do this right now for a multitude of reasons. I understand the mindset that a lot of people have about it being the circle of life and such, and rationally I totally understand that. I am looking forward to getting some new Ts also. Honestly I just tend to be socially isolated and struggle with depression so I get really attached to my pets. But I'll appreciate them in the moment, and give them the best life possible.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
my mature male GBB lived close to a year after his final molt. He had numerous breeding attempts with our female (sadly no slings) but he had plenty of chances and she never attempted to eat him. It was sad, but he had a good run and as other people have mentioned A) that's part of their cycle / nature and B) even a shortened MM lifespan is longer than a ton of other breeds

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
My absolute legend of a Phlogius Rubiseta MM paired 3 times, grew exceptionally large on his ultimate molt and only very recently passed away just over 2 years post-maturity. If there ever was a tarantula heaven, he'd be there downing six packs of wax-worm beer everyday I'm sure
20200413_172529.jpg

Treasure your MM's while you have them, make memories and treat them well. This dude is going down in my personal history book, as well as every one of his 60 slings

Tarantula155

Arachnobaron
I normally give the males away to petstores when I can officially sex them, then purchase more slings of the same species or buy a sexed female.

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
I will admit I'm a little sad that I won't have some of my males as long as I'll have my females, but since I watched my MM C elegans slowly fade over the period of a year, I try to find them mates now. That helps

Still, I adore mature males. They're so leggy and randy, and I find it hilariously cute.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I kind of have a disassociation with mature males. i mean, I still take care of them and try to keep them alive for as long as possible, but it is different somehow.

That said, I had a E. campestratus live for around 2-1/2 years after hooking out, and I remained attached to him because I saw him as a real trooper.

"Dad-gummit, I ain't dying until you get me some girly action!"

That did not happen, but he really tried to live up to his word! :D And i was sorry when he finally went.

Since I have no interest in breeding tarantulas (I thought I better clarify that statement) I'm always a bit disappointed with a MM.