Stromatopelma calceatum- Would they be fine for somewhat of a noob?

sean-820

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ive kept t's for just over a year and now i have 5

Pamphobeteus sp. "platyomma"
Avic avic
avic versi
obt
lasiodora parahybana.

So i would like an ow and agressive t. I would not handle at all (ive handled all my t's once in a while except the obt and have had no problems), but i want one that is also easier to care for similar to an obt. So other then the nature boy, would would recomend someone with only a years experience getting a Stromatopelma calceatum?

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You should definitely keep some other similiar arboreal first before getting S. calceatum. They are super fast, super defensive and their venom is very potent. I say get a few Pokies or Psalmos (or both) first. In fact, I can't think of a more difficult tarantula to deal with than S. calceatum.

Of course Nature Boy is going to tell you they are good tarantulas for a beginner, but don't listen to him. ;)

Singapore_Blue1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
To be totally honest with you i would advise you to try a species like a H. lividum before a Stromatopelma calceatum. The reason i say this is S. calceatum has more potent venom than a cobalt, (at least that is what is being said by numerous people) Not my personal experience so i couldn't really say. But i have been told that this is one T besides Poecilotheria, and H. maculata that you don't want to get bit by. So i would suggest you to go with a Haplopelma because it will give you the aggressiveness that you are seeking and they are also quite fast. Get the experience with the Haplopelma before you get the other one!!! Just my two cents from 14 years experience. :D

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
To be totally honest with you i would advise you to try a species like a H. lividum before a Stromatopelma calceatum. The reason i say this is S. calceatum has more potent venom than a cobalt, (at least that is what is being said by numerous people) Not my personal experience so i couldn't really say. But i have been told that this is one T besides Poecilotheria, and H. maculata that you don't want to get bit by. So i would suggest you to go with a Haplopelma because it will give you the aggressiveness that you are seeking and they are also quite fast. Get the experience with the Haplopelma before you get the other one!!! Just my two cents from 14 years experience. :D
The thing is, Haplopelmas are burrowers. They are much, MUCH more easier to deal with them than defensive arboreals. One should get used to the arboreal speed before getting S. calceatum.

Singapore_Blue1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you noticed he has experience with aboreals
A. avic
A. versicolor
Now granted they are not defensive but if he has the experience with an aboreal and the experience with a defensive ground dweller i don't see the need to necessarily get a defensive aboreal. :? Make sense??? But Psalmopoeus is a good idea if you want a semi defensive T that is aboreal so i agree with that but i just don't see the necessity if he already has experience with an aboreal spider. :p

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you noticed he has experience with aboreals
A. avic
A. versicolor
Now granted they are not defensive but if he has the experience with an aboreal and the experience with a defensive ground dweller i don't see the need to necessarily get a defensive aboreal. :? Make sense??? But Psalmopoeus is a good idea if you want a semi defensive T that is aboreal so i agree with that but i just don't see the necessity if he already has experience with an aboreal spider. :p
Avicularias are exceptions when it comes to arboreals. They act a LOT different than all other. And I'm not talking about the defensiveness, Pokies are usually quite docile. I'm talking about how skittish they are and how they tend to start running around when you bother them. Avics don't do that...

Edit: But then again, he already has OBT...

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think that you have experience with both fast and defensive...if you've got an OBT, then you should be able to keep an S. calceatum. I agree with Singapore though, a Psalmopoeus is a better step up, but it's up to you how comfortable you are with one.

endoflove

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i dont get it i began with agressive T's it all denpends on the type of person u r. if ur not so smart stick with avics and rosies

Kris-wIth-a-K

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I wouldn't recommend this sp. for you yet. When it comes to rehousing and tank maintenance, chances are, you will either get bitten or come really close. Even the little ones are subject to bites.

Singapore_Blue1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'll agree that they tend to act somewhat different but to say that avic's don't do that, well tell that to my A. minatrix :razz: ..she is a screwball, My H. maculata is easier to deal with than her so putting out a statement such as that one is a little premature given the fact "personalities" vary from spider to spider. They are all different, each one is unique. ;)

Noexcuse4you

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Go for it. With proper research and discretion, one can keep any species of tarantula at any stage of their hobby experience.

whitewolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Go for it. With proper research and discretion, one can keep any species of tarantula at any stage of their hobby experience.
Gotta agree here. Went form rosies for years to P Regalis, H. Lividium, OBT. All had a lot of attitude but not to bad once ya get used to it. Just remember it can and will bite and is fast. Just use common sence and don't pull a drunken TNB.;P

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Personally I started the hobby with P. cambridgei so I totally agree with you. However, if I would've started with S. calceatum...

Kris-wIth-a-K

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Keep the tanks clean as possible. The less you stick your hand/tongs/elongated tweezers (ha) in the tank the less chances you could be bitten. I tend to think people underestimate the speed of a tarantula until it's too late. Even the most experienced people get bitten every once in a while.

Singapore_Blue1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well i have to totally disagree with that statement. Not every experienced keeper gets bit first of all. I've been handling different species of T's for 14 years and no bites (knock on wood) :D I have found that the more you interact with the T's the less defensive they become toward you. This method of thinking is why some T keepers are having issues with more defensive T's!!!

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It also kind of depends on your particular Ts. I've heard some obts are pretty retiring, a rarity i'm sure. But from what I can gather, if you've had an obt without problems (being able to rehouse, maintain tank, etc), you're probably ok with an S. cal. Just give them the respect that their reputation deserves.