Stromatopelma calceatum- Would they be fine for somewhat of a noob?

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
OMG, Gavin? I'll bet the whole thing is made up.

Any way....

I don't really think this species is that pretty myself, but I bet the make up for it in personality. Not a T i would have in the house though cause I don't consider myself an "avid" collector, and would rather have more Flashy Ts.

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think that first report is complete and utter rubbish. A spider, "charging" up a tree to intentionally bite someone? I don't buy that. People like to over-dramatize and exaggerate things for shock value.
Have you never seen a T advance in an attempt to squelch a threat? I have, and not just with S. cal. (an OBT shot up forceps, tagged me, then shot back down into its webbing, lol). S. cal takes defensiveness to a new level. Honestly, do you have any experience with the species?

p.s. I will agree that the parts of the article stating that bites could be lethal are not true. I will tell you that after being tagged by a juvie and experiencing how delightful it was I have no doubt that someone seeing the results of someone being on the receiving end of an adult pumping and dumping could make the conclusion that death could be a possible result.

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The fact that one tagged you would indicate that the species perhaps isn't as docile as you would lead one to believe. Either way, this is stupid. I believe we're in agreement that there's no reason the guy that started this thread shouldn't own one.
What's the world coming to...TNB is the voice of reason.
Was that a pig that just flew passed my window?

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Exactly..To be on the safe side to you can start with a spiderling and get used to its temperament as it grows.I will also mention that thanks to people like the nature boy S.calceatum have gotten some rap as being the most aggressive,venomous,dangerous tarantula out there.I never had any problems with the ones I've kept.Sure they can be fast and defensive but so are all Psalmopoeus species!
Yes they do exaggerate to stimulate there own ego. They will allways be here, but they are also the ones on the bite reports too. S Calceatum is very fast and unpredictable, but they are not nearly as bad as NB makes them to be. I have 4 of them and yes, they do have a attitude, but i dont really have any issues with mine either, even had one jump on to my hand, and it went back to its enclosure without a fight, just needed guidence in the right direction;)

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The fact that one tagged you would indicate that the species perhaps isn't as docile as you would lead one to believe. Either way, this is stupid. I believe we're in agreement that there's no reason the guy that started this thread shouldn't own one.
Umm...did you read? I made the spider bite me for experimental purposes.

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes they do exaggerate to stimulate there own ego. They will allways be here, but they are also the ones on the bite reports too. S Calceatum is very fast and unpredictable, but they are not nearly as bad as NB makes them to be. I have 4 of them and yes, they do have a attitude, but i dont really have any issues with mine either, even had one jump on to my hand, and it went back to its enclosure without a fight, just needed guidence in the right direction;)
I take it you are largely a "hands off" owner? In my experience they are rather protective of their own turf, lol. ;) :D It doesn't take much to see them flip out (and, no, I don't set out to antagonize them).

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
You have to start somewhere. When you are confident that you are ready for the more defensive species, get one!

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I take it you are largely a "hands off" owner? In my experience they are rather protective of their own turf, lol. ;) :D It doesn't take much to see them flip out (and, no, I don't set out to antagonize them).
Have to say a big NO to hands off, I dont handle much NW T´s because i have bad reactions to the hairs, it might give you a clue to wich i then handle;-)

I have just have them jump out, and then they are not on their own turf. I have had no problems just guiding them back to the enclosure, but of course they are defensive inside;) But they are not that difficult to care for, they eat well, and mostly i can do the cleaning without issues. But hey! Maybe my 4 Calceatum are nice by nature;P

BCscorp

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Go for it. With proper research and discretion, one can keep any species of tarantula at any stage of their hobby experience.
YES I wholeheartedly agree with this, as long as its not a kid getting a S. calceatum etc.

spiderfield

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Go for it. With proper research and discretion, one can keep any species of tarantula at any stage of their hobby experience.
Absolutely agree with this statement as well. Go do your research, exercise your free will, and get what YOU want.