Stromatopelma calceatum- Would they be fine for somewhat of a noob?

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well, I don't see an age on your info. so I'll preface this by saying S. cal is not the species for a 12 year old who is 80 pounds soaking wet. Yes, you will do just fine with a S. cal as long as you respect what you're dealing with and do your research. You have an OBT so you've had some experience with defensive species. With a species like S. cal you pretty much just have to jump in head first--there's no stepping stone up to one, that's for sure, lol. {D

p.s. do realize that you have to have an adult before you see the true nefariousness of the species. In my case I can't wait for that beautiful transformation. In your case starting with a sling or juvie may be a decent way to get the feeling for things before it becomes a real...witch.

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I will say one thing NB, you're making me want one. I like the idea of a "nefarious" T {D

blix

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well, you have a P. murinus, which generally have the most rotten temperament in the hobby, so that's a plus when it comes to experience.

And you have experience with a somewhat fast arboreal tarantula (avics).

I don't see why not, if you consider the above, and what has already been written: Be very careful and respect it.

A good advice would be to start out with a juvenile, so you have a chance to observe all it quirks and temperament as it grows, that way you will get familiar with it too.

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, you have a P. murinus, which generally have the most rotten temperament in the hobby
Nah. The only reason there's so many bite reports, is the fact that they are so commonly available that they actually sell them in pet stores. They aren't that bad when it comes to the temperament.

sean-820

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, I don't see an age on your info. so I'll preface this by saying S. cal is not the species for a 12 year old who is 80 pounds soaking wet. Yes, you will do just fine with a S. cal as long as you respect what you're dealing with and do your research. You have an OBT so you've had some experience with defensive species. With a species like S. cal you pretty much just have to jump in head first--there's no stepping stone up to one, that's for sure, lol. {D

p.s. do realize that you have to have an adult before you see the true nefariousness of the species. In my case I can't wait for that beautiful transformation. In your case starting with a sling or juvie may be a decent way to get the feeling for things before it becomes a real...witch.

well the obt is still a juvie and i have never had a threat pose from it, but that could be becasue i dont screw around with it and just let it be. How would a T. gigas be ad another step before a S. cal.? Both look somewhat similar (well the fluffy hair not really colour) despite being different continants and both are agressive and arborial right? I also bought all my t's as slings and about a coupel month intervals starting with the versi, obt, avic (bought at 2"), parahybana and then the platylomma

Last edited:

ThomasH

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
T. gigas is not aggressive. As Marshall described, it's like a VERY quick growing Avic with a crew cut. It's pretty much on the same level as Avics, except it doesn't have the urticulating hairs and it is a little faster.
TBH

ksac3

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I wanted an OW arboreal so i got a Singapore blue sling.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Go for it. With proper research and discretion, one can keep any species of tarantula at any stage of their hobby experience.
Exactly..To be on the safe side to you can start with a spiderling and get used to its temperament as it grows.I will also mention that thanks to people like the nature boy S.calceatum have gotten some rap as being the most aggressive,venomous,dangerous tarantula out there.I never had any problems with the ones I've kept.Sure they can be fast and defensive but so are all Psalmopoeus species!

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
T. gigas is not aggressive. As Marshall described, it's like a VERY quick growing Avic with a crew cut. It's pretty much on the same level as Avics, except it doesn't have the urticulating hairs and it is a little faster.
TBH
"A little faster"... Yeah...

Edit: Besides the one I had was atleast as defensive as P. irminias I've had.

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
I say get one. ( age and weight are another matter )

Seems you have enough experience.
well at least as much as I did when I got my first one from Botar.

She has blessed me with a fertile sac. :)

NOW back to what TNB was saying.. they will be more aggressively defensive as adults. for certain. BUT at about 2-3 inches they are the fastest spider I have EVER seen. Ever.
They might not be prone to biting at this age but escapes are a real risk.

Weigh that into your decision. Who else lives in the house?? etc.

Krazy Kat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I say get some.I've been keeping T's less than a year,a year the 14th of July for me.I'm going to get two as well...;P

ThomasH

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
"A little faster"... Yeah...

Edit: Besides the one I had was atleast as defensive as P. irminias I've had.
The ones I have are fast but so are the Avics I've had. All in all, my rufilata's speed makes them look like a bunch of fat slugs. My irminias and the rest of my Psalmos aren't really that defensive. They might get in a threat pose if you poke them right on their palps or their first two legs but aren't what I'd call "overly defensive." Just a baby step up from the Avics. My Tapinaucheniuses are kind of in between Avicularias and Psalmopoeuses in aggression but the Taps are about the same speed as my beloved 6" irminia.
TBH

pato_chacoana

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
They are beautiful and interesting spiders. Be careful with the 'jumps' though, besides lightning fast, a jump from the enclosure towards your hand will def. result on a bite... I almost had this happen while mating my females; the male was very angry and jumped down an ran, almost hit my hand lol. The females I find them rather calm and not as defensive as the males...but they are very fast and you have to be very careful with them and always remember what they are and are capable of! :)
Now my two females are with sacs and the slings will take over the house!! hehe

A pic of one of my females:

Same spider with sac

Best regards,
Pato

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They are recognized among the most venomous in the hobby. Be careful!

aracnophiliac

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If you want to keep a species enough (and even being a noob)...All you have to do is some research an th species and also..Have respect for the animal you are keeping..For your safty as well as its...Lets just say I started with A H.Lividum then went on to a T.Blondi..not until I had most of the pokies under my belt did I move on to the less agressive species...And I have to this date never been tagged and I have done mulitpule breeding projects and keep over 70 personal pet Tarantulas...Not including the Slings....Also I made sure once I started to bring in My bigger Pokies to alert my Hospital as I live in a small town of 5,000 and only 4 doctors so I though it would be smart to let them know...They were kind enough to perscribe me some medicated cream for U hairs even.

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer