Stromatopelma calceatum sac; to pull or not to pull

Pull or leave?

• Total voters

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
hey guys,
as some of you may know ive been making breeding attempts S.calc for a while and the first and largest of my females dropped a sac 23 days ago. originally i planned on pulling the sac at ~28days but now im entertaining the idea of potentially leaving it with her until 1st instars.

the enclosure is escape proof even for the smallest of slings and the curious side of me wants to see what the mothers post hatch behavior will be, not to mention that taking babies from a PO'd Scalc doesnt necessarily sound like a fun time to me.

so drop your opinions in the poll or in the comments bellow on what you think.

this is my first sac from these guys so any other advise or critique would be extremely welcome as well!

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
personally id pull, i don't know what your enclosure set up looks like, but id imagine trying to corral a buncha 1st Instars running around would be a bit of a fun time haha.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
id pull, check out the post baby behavior on a more tolerant species. those slings are fast, youd have a tough time with them all running around.

FishermanSteve

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would pull as well. Never know what could cause her to stress out and eat the clutch. Congrats on the successful sac!

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
I would pull as well. Never know what could cause her to stress out and eat the clutch. Congrats on the successful sac!
All I know as of right now is I have a sac, we will see in a few hours when I pull it if it was successful or not

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
yeah, its actually a little earlier than i wanted, but i have military obligation this weekend that will be taking me away, so pulling tomorrow or sunday wasnt plausible. worked out in the end.

on another note, who wants S calc slings :D

ksac3

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
When I bred these little beauties i waited 43 days from the egg laying to the pulling date i got from a chart.beware this egghead is not a unfollow space instead it is rolled like a little Debby Swiss roll,that two tweezers are necessary as well as a scraper, some square wide mouth grain hard found in Wal-Mart Tupperware isle.I think I will copy and paste a complete article I wrote this morning:two years

ksac3

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
after breeding this species successfully i realized that only five specimens existed in the U.S.A. before my female Stromatopelma Galveston have the community 143 third instar spiderlings.and if you are a person afraid of that some account of one evil female blowing through soldiers like they were an enemy realise what knowledge I gained from raising two spidering to adulthood,the male was never mated because of fear .fear is truly a nonviolent in this instance since I thought long and hard why nobody bred the male and that was because the only information on this beautiful and shy species that was more afraid of direct sunlight than I would have thought.when my very first pair of third in star spidering they blended in so well I brought one in the sunlifht.the specimen literally was so scared of direct sunlight that it did about ten backdrops in a second or so.the male matured and I literally could not GIVE it to any breeders as they cited their fear.soon after the male made it to the ultimate maturity the female emerged as a very pretty fun-adult i knew if I did not breed this species the only five existing stromatopelmas were going to perish without mating.Of course I was aware of a direct "pump and dump" bite of the worst kind as I did research.that put me on a crusade to mate her as soon as i knew it was female.finding a male was difficult until The Other HALf of the 50/50 posted that she had a male and wanted him to "have a eggsac".since I never bred any tarantulas I assured her that I was stopping at nothing to produce much more than the five that were in two different sellers invintory .my research brought me to the very first tarantula breeding of the b.Amelia if I recall correctly. after reading roughly ten sources and watching a few youtube videos i had a rock solid plan:two five gallon tanks in a huge breeder tank with gentle heat radiating through both tank bottoms in a temperature ,light and humidity controlled enviroment.we both were satisfied and their breeding post still remains on this website that ultimately would give this species a second chance.it did NOT go smoothly despite the research ,and no holds barred breeding setup.she molted out of sequence gravid.that would not stop me as I had a definitive mission so I used a yardstick with a fresh paintbrush at the end to get them in separate five gallon tanks in the huge breeder tanks .it took hours.I was exhausted because they were so fast and reclusive, but I ultimately did it.after waiting for five weeks i re-introduced them,with the lights on and for me,that definitely did not work.both were scared of the light.so in complete darkness i went through with the breeding and knew I suceeded.I told Beth and we were both too happy to see the sucess.he was cannibalized and she was gravid.fourty days and fourty nights it took for her to start spinning a web that totally enclosed her edges which looked like 1/4 of a ball securely attached to the corner hanging about two inches above the bottom.and I awaited another fourty days she said on the eggsac with only drinking water once and immediately killing her crickets as not to bother her or her eggsac.she was a good mother .so fourth-three days after laying the eggsac i separated her with the brush on a yardstick forcing her into a wall of square large mouth containers,screwed the lid on while she viciously repeatedly attacked the brush.you see i used the yardstick so she could not see my hand moving.if I failed to think this up i would be in the bite report posts. I removed the eggsac with a scraper because it was so firmly spun onto the glass.i took the sac to a two and a half gallon fine mesh tank i lined the bottom with damp paper towels and gave them a dry island i put the sac on.it took a week for the torn sac to start maturing.this is important:the sac was in the form of a toll like a Swiss rolll little Debby snack,and I had to operate on it to expose them all of them or they would be trapped.I waited for them to reach third in star and they said put on the dry section,like an island.I than packed 73 spiderlings for the 50/50 she Was SHOCKED That I Kept my end of the deal.I hope this helps and want some to breed.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Were there really only five in the US? I very distinctly remember reading a few things about this species being about like the OBT in its abundance. Everyone who wanted one had one and breeders were having to give em away as freebies to clear their stock. Please correct me if im wrong.