Stromatopelma calceatum pairing video

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Update since molt:
Female has been power fed (an adult roach or super worm every 4 days since her molt) and is nice and plump and no longer accepted a meal yesterday.
Male also, surpridingly, has had a couple good meals. It's amazing how much a mature male can eat and yet still have a troubling sized abdomen.

Anyway they have been paired for the first time since her molt today and it went as smoothly as the pairing featured in the video. 3 very good insertions and to my surprise the male was incredibly cooperative. When prodded to lead him out, in his usual manner he just climbed up the tongs instead, but this time it was a calm climb, not a bad dash scurry like usual.
Climbed all the way up to my hand and just stayed put there until i moved him over to the females enclosure where he very calmly crawled right in. He's acting like a damn avic now :D
After the insertion he kept on trying to get back in there for round two but the female wasn't having it so I removed him and same deal, right up the tongs into my hand again.

Here's the kicker, this horny bugger started drumming on my hand!!! Was the most nerve wracking bizarre feeling on the planet. But all said and done, very stressfree pairing. Fingers crossed it's the last!

Bugmom

Arachnolord
You are the bravest person I have ever met. :astonished: The Evil Knieval of tarantula breeding. Good luck, hope you get a sac this time, I'm not sure you'll survive another attempt :p

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
You are the bravest person I have ever met. :astonished: The Evil Knieval of tarantula breeding. Good luck, hope you get a sac this time, I'm not sure you'll survive another attempt :p
All things considered, there is very little reason to be afraid of any tarantula. I'm infinity more likely to receive a lasting injury just by getting out of bed in the morning

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
All things considered, there is very little reason to be afraid of any tarantula. I'm infinity more likely to receive a lasting injury just by getting out of bed in the morning
What on earth are you sleeping on?! :eek:

Jk, hope this time it works out for you!

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
My point was there's never been a documented death from a tarantula bite, even s calc. But something like 9 people a year die slipping in the shower.

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
My point was there's never been a documented death from a tarantula bite, even s calc. But something like 9 people a year die slipping in the shower.
So does this mean I need to stop rehousing my Ts in the shower? :troll:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Haksilence said:
I know that...sometimes i just can't resist to make a joke...:D

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Houston we have a sac!

The girl has laid a pretty decent sized sac and is lording over it like pit bull over her pups. Countdown begins to the nightmare of pulling the sac.

Exact count and status of the eggs incoming circa 28 days

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Houston we have a sac!

The girl has laid a pretty decent sized sac and is lording over it like pit bull over her pups. Countdown begins to the nightmare of pulling the sac.

Exact count and status of the eggs incoming circa 28 days
Be a man and reach in there, say "Polly want a cricket?" you'll get a favorable response.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Pulled the sac today, 27 days after it was found.

Mom was very very thin and put a lot of fresh dripping holes in my paintbrust, but seems well and wasnt too much trouble once I got her separated form the sac.

The sac was considerably larger than expected, note a lot of it is webbing.

Opened the sac... EGGS WITH LEGS!!

So far as I could tell there are no bad eggs, only three that I found had not yet transitioned to EWL but still looked promising.

Just a rough count/guess I estimate around 220-250 slings. All were moving quite actively and are looking well! Super excited!

So to recap:

Mated 9/08/16
Molted 10/18/16
re-paired with the same male 11/04/2016

The female spent the next month and a half eating very heavily, she was fed a diet of as many crickets/superworms as she would eat every 5 days, and was even given pinkie mice on two occasions. water bowl was filled every 5 days with the feedings (never went dry) and was lightly flooded out every other filling.

Egg sac sound on 1/14/17 (71 days later)

Once the sac was found prey was not offered, and maintained the full water bowl. 14 days into the gestation enclosure was lightly flooded to add some humidity to combat this dry winter air.

Egg sac pulled 2/10/17 (27 days later)

EWL 2/10/17

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
Nice work! You earned that sac by being such a good drum/wingman for daddy.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
The sac has been progressing nicely and a good amount molted to 1st instar or are in the process of molting as we speak.
Here's a little update video.