Striped Tail Scorpion just gave birth. Need some help.

Tas413

Arachnopeon
I have a Stripe Tail that just gave birth today. I've made sure not to disturb her but I turned on the light in the room and noticed 3 of the babies had fallen off and were walking around a bit. I don't know if there's anything I should (or can) do about them.

This is also the first time I've experienced a pregnant scorpion (or pregnant anything other than a cat) so I'm really new at this. I didn't even know her gender until just now.

EDIT: I forgot to add that she gave birth several hours ago and seemed she didn't have much energy (but who would after giving birth?) and after having previous experience with crickets taking advantage of something for having no energy I took the two crickets out. How long should I wait to put them back in?

Here's some pictures because I know someone will ask.

14702484_1381192985225311_8485864505531046717_n.jpg 14800769_10154640999267363_276847851_n.jpg
This one was taken by someone who didn't know not to disturb her at the time.

Last edited:

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Most likely she won't eat for a few days, if not longer. Try not to bother her as she will eat the babies if she gets too stressed. In a week or so, the babies will molt to 2nd instar. Once they have molted they will start wandering away after a couple of days. You should be able to separate them at that point. You will want to get something like small condiment containers to house the babies as they are cannabalistic and won't hesitate to eat a weaker sibling.

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As Brandon said, just leave her be. They should molt soon and then you can separate them into deli cups. I tend to use a 75/25 mix of coco fiber to sand for Vaejovids and similar species, even for the young.

And if you havent yet, invest in fruit flies or ensure you can obtain small prey items for them to eat. Dubia can be chopped up, but they dont always take to it in my experience.