Stripe Knee Tarantula

bluedevil445

Arachnopeon
Ok, I just got my first tarantula and I've already posted a question about it not burrowing. When I posted this thread I called it a Costa Rican Zebra (Aphonopelma seemanni) but after looking at it closer I now think it is a Pink Zebra Beauty (Eupalaestrus campestratus).(This confusion occured because in the pet store it was only labeled as a Stripe Knee Tarantula, with no scientific name, and I am new to keeping tarantulas so I dont have a "trained eye" for identifying species yet). Ok to my question, are there any significant care diffrences between the two spiders. Thank you so much!

rob

Got Inverts?
Old Timer
Photo?

Can you post a photo? I'm still new at this myself, but I think the chances are that its a Costa Rican Zebra as they are usually more common in the pet stores and I've seen photos of dark colored versions and lighter grayish/brownish versions. Check out different web sites for different photos of both species and do a comparison. If you post a photo, though, someone here will let you know for sure what it is.:)

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Both need the same captive care coditions. For a sub adult or adult you will need; A encloser with a substrate of your choice, a hide of some sort, water bowl, and food. Wet some of the substrate from time to time a little by over flowing the water bowl. I never mist either one. Room temps will be fine 70-80 degrees. I feed mine every seven to ten days or so, about 4-6 adult crickets at a time. If they look thin or after a long fast I feed more often, 2-3 crickets about every other day. I

How is the temperment on the tarantula? When you toch its rear end does it dart across it's encloseror, or does it just sit there? I find Aphonopelma seemani( Costa Rican Zebra )to be very nervous, and when toched tends to run away. As with the Eupalaestrus campestratus(Pink Zebra Beauty), the two adult females and one sling are my most calm captives. As rob742b said a picture is worth a thosand words, and would make for a more positive id.

Last edited:

striped knee

Arachnopeon
i have a question

I have a "striped knee tarantula" and it seems very aggressive. Also to add to that its whole back has turned blue i was wondering what that means? So what iis up with this tarantula?

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You may have gotten lucky and found a BP A.seemani..... :)
Pics will be required to help you any further.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
I have a "striped knee tarantula" and it seems very aggressive. Also to add to that its whole back has turned blue i was wondering what that means? So what iis up with this tarantula?
if it's normally a tan color, and it just turned dark blue, that means a molt is coming up very soon, that's the new exo forming beneath the old.