Stridulating B. emilia & breeding attempt a bust?

WyvernsLair

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well... tonight I tried my male with a different female since the first female is getting testy with him after two breedings with him. He was very eager to meet this new girl. To start off, he made a bit of a rush move that involved a lot of slapping of legs before they each backed off. While he was hanging on the side of her flower pot, he started stridulating! sounded almost like a quiet cricket chirp..very eerie sound. He did that like 3 or 4 times before he started inching his way over to her. She then moved off to the other side of the cage. Over the next 20 minutes, he carefully made his way over to her. He finally got her cornered, lifted up, etc... and she didn't seem to put up any fuss over it. I had a somewhat decent view of the action, but I don't think he was able to get a proper angle to insert. It kinda looked like she kept arching her abdomen away from him??? Anyways, after 45 minutes of trying and rearranging their positions and such a few times, she finally decided to wiggle out of his grasp and take a walk out of the cage. He then followed trying to woo her back. She made it to the floor and then ran over and climbed onto and and then into his cage with him trying to follow. I cupped him and then coaxed her back into her own cage. I then put the male back into his cage and he just kept trying to run out to go find that girl again. took a bit of work before I could get the top back on his cage. sheesh. Had I enough crickets last night to feed to the other two girls I have I would have tried moving him over to one of them, but they hadn't fed in a while and didn't want to put him in too much danger with his hormones running rampant as it is (he ain't thinking too clearly :D ). I did pick up some crickets tonight to feed to the girls so they'll be ready for him tomorrow.

While I did catch him grooming after being back in his cage for a while, all in all, I think this breeding attempt was a bust that ended with a very frustrated boy. :eek: What do you all think? Success or a bust?:?

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I can't tell you if it was a successful date or not - but am flabbergasted that the B. emilia stridulated! OMG :eek: I have a gorgeous female emilia of my own, but had no idea that this species would stridulate. Now I can hardly wait to breed her, and Hope, Hope, Hopefully I will get to hear this very cool phenomenon! :clap: :clap: :clap:

WyvernsLair

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I can't tell you if it was a successful date or not - but am flabbergasted that the B. emilia stridulated! OMG :eek: I have a gorgeous female emilia of my own, but had no idea that this species would stridulate. Now I can hardly wait to breed her, and Hope, Hope, Hopefully I will get to hear this very cool phenomenon! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I was very surprised at his singing ability. lol. I did not know that emilia's would stridulate like that either. The previous matings with him and another female did not produce any such sounds and it shocked me to see/hear him doing it last night.

Of course to top the evening off, one of them must have scattered some urt hairs on the carpet cause the top of my right foot and the side of my left is all itchy now. teach me to not wear socks with love lost T's running around on the floor lol.

robbie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
easy way to tell is wait a few weeks, maybe 1 or2 and try to mate them again, if the female is gravid then she will probably chase him out of the cage and show no intrest in him. if not well then hey they are ready to go again.{D hope all goes well for you.