Stressed tarantula Sericopelma rubronitens

sunsetcaroline

Arachnopeon
Hi,
My tarantula has been stressed lately. Didn't want to eat during the last month, lost a lot of hair, and also stayed in defense position over a week now. It usually eats cockroaches, so I thought it may have been tired of them. I tried with worms but they were also rejected.

I already changed her box to a noiseless, lightless place, but nothing changed. Is there something I could do to make things easier?
I'm sharing two pics to show how its body was (1) and how it's now (2).

Thank you in advance :)

Attachments

Last edited:

Hakuna

Arachnoknight
Which species is this? Could you post a pic of the entire enclosure? There may be an issue with the set up that may cause stress. I would start by changing out those terrible wood chips for some substrate that they could choose to dig in.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Just by the sub it’s being kept on, I can tell it’s being kept improperly. And that will lead to a defensive stressed T.

sunsetcaroline

Arachnopeon
Thank you all, I'll change it immediately.

Is there a specific substrate you could recommend buying over Amazon?

Just by the sub it’s being kept on, I can tell it’s being kept improperly. And that will lead to a defensive stressed T.
Thank you for your reply. I've tried with Eco Earth's coconuts fiber now. Do you think it's a good choice? Is there something else I could try?
Thank you again:spider:

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Thank you for your reply. I've tried with Eco Earth's coconuts fiber now. Do you think it's a good choice? Is there something else I could try?
Thank you again:spider:
That will work just fine. I’m pretty sure this is a terrestrial species. If I remember correctly, keep it on packed dry sub and you can periodically lightly dampen the substrate. Give it a hide and a water dish and I think it should be good to go. Anyone with more experience, please chime in and correct me if I am wrong.

sunsetcaroline

Arachnopeon
Which species is this? Could you post a pic of the entire enclosure? There may be an issue with the set up that may cause stress. I would start by changing out those terrible wood chips for some substrate that they could choose to dig in.
Sericopelma rubronitens; it has a very fine substrate now, Eco Earth's coconuts fiber, do you think it could be better now? Is there something else I could get?

Poonjab

Arachnoking
If you search husbandry for this species on this site, I’m sure you will find tons of info on how to keep it correctly. Make sure to do tons of research on your Tarantula so you can give it the best life. Best of luck.

sunsetcaroline

Arachnopeon
That will work just fine. I’m pretty sure this is a terrestrial species. If I remember correctly, keep it on packed dry sub and you can periodically lightly dampen the substrate. Give it a hide and a water dish and I think it should be good to go. Anyone with more experience, please chime in and correct me if I am wrong.
Thank you so so so much for your knowledge!!!! It's my first T, there's nothing more I would love that knowing it's okay. I really hope it'll be fine soon too. I'll let you all know how it's going.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Thank you so so so much for your knowledge!!!! It's my first T, there's nothing more I would love that knowing it's okay. I really hope it'll be fine soon too. I'll let you all know how it's going.
I’m sure it’ll be fine. Just use the forum to do tons of research on proper husbandry as certain species require specific needs. Report back and let us know how it’s doing. Here is a thread to get you going how others have kept theirs https://arachnoboards.com/threads/sericopelma-rubronitens-caresheets-please.138090/

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Topsoil is the best imho. It keeps a nice shape and doesn't collapse so easily. Keeps very well the moisture across all the substrate. You can add peat moss to keep more moisture, or sand to drain it faster. If you need a more compact substrate adding a little bit of clay based substrate helps.

Why do you think it’s stressed? From what source?
I would be stressed if everything around me can kill me easily.

sunsetcaroline

Arachnopeon
Topsoil is the best imho. It keeps a nice shape and doesn't collapse so easily. Keeps very well the moisture across all the substrate. You can add peat moss to keep more moisture, or sand to drain it faster. If you need a more compact substrate adding a little bit of clay based substrate helps.

I would be stressed if everything around me can kill me easily.
Alright sir, thank you!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hi,
My tarantula has been stressed lately. Didn't want to eat during the last month, lost a lot of hair, and also stayed in defense position over a week now. It usually eats cockroaches, so I thought it may have been tired of them. I tried with worms but they were also rejected.

I already changed her box to a noiseless, lightless place, but nothing changed. Is there something I could do to make things easier?
I'm sharing two pics to show how its body was (1) and how it's now (2).

Thank you in advance :)
Hola Caroline

First your T doesn’t need to be in noiseless or lightless box.

While switching substrate is fine, I don’t think that’s the issue- I could be wrong. Ts are highly adaptable generally so I doubt the sub is the issue here.

Jaromysfuneral

Arachnopeon
Definately substrate, I use sunshine peat moss sometimes mixed with vermiculite. It wont mold, it holds a great burrow and there are usually minimal sticks. 3 cu feet is only $10 at home depot And lasts all my T’s a very long time. Also highly recommended for frogs or anything that needs more moisture as the ph balance is too high to allow much growth to happen in the wettest conditions. Top it off with spring tails and you will Have a very very happy t and a clean enclosure (until she shoots poop)

also if you give that t 5 feet of substrate it will tunnel all the way to the bottom. These little ones love to dig

sunsetcaroline

Arachnopeon
Hola Caroline

First your T doesn’t need to be in noiseless or lightless box.

While switching substrate is fine, I don’t think that’s the issue- I could be wrong. Ts are highly adaptable generally so I doubt the sub is the issue here.
Thank you!!! :) :) It's doing a lot better since the substrate was changed! :D

sunsetcaroline

Arachnopeon
Definately substrate, I use sunshine peat moss sometimes mixed with vermiculite. It wont mold, it holds a great burrow and there are usually minimal sticks. 3 cu feet is only $10 at home depot And lasts all my T’s a very long time. Also highly recommended for frogs or anything that needs more moisture as the ph balance is too high to allow much growth to happen in the wettest conditions. Top it off with spring tails and you will Have a very very happy t and a clean enclosure (until she shoots poop)

also if you give that t 5 feet of substrate it will tunnel all the way to the bottom. These little ones love to dig
Thank you so much for your advice as well!! ♥ I'll try with the things you' all have been suggesting (I appreciate it a lot guys!) Doesn't seem to be in the defensive position right now so maybe I could also try feeding it :) ♥

Jaromysfuneral

Arachnopeon
Of course! I would still rather work with defensive than bolting around any day so that’s something!