Stress curl?

Arachnrdz

Arachnopeon
Hi guys! Just want to know if i should be alarmed with my T. Vagans since She's in an awkward position. She stayed there for 24hrs now and last time I saw her moved her leg a bit was yesterday. IMG_20200705_064318.jpg

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Ok. A few things (for the future) there looks to be way too much height from the top of the substrate to the top of the enclosure. The rocks? are dangerous as the tarantula could dig under them and get squashed or climb and fall on top of them.

As far as the tarantula itself, nothing stands out to me. You say it's been sitting there for 24hr ?

Arachnrdz

Arachnopeon
Im using a 2.5gal aquarium and improvised its top part for vent and
Ok. A few things (for the future) there looks to be way too much height from the top of the substrate to the top of the enclosure. The rocks? are dangerous as the tarantula could dig under them and get squashed or climb and fall on top of them.

As far as the tarantula itself, nothing stands out to me. You say it's been sitting there for 24hr ?
Yes since yesterday. She move her legs a bit but didn't change her position. Do you think she's molting?

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Im using a 2.5gal aquarium and improvised its top part for vent and

Yes since yesterday. She move her legs a bit but didn't change her position. Do you think she's molting?
That's an unusual position for it to molt in.

In all honesty, there's little you can do besides wait and see.

jaw6053

Arachnobaron
Without a good picture of the entire enclosure from the front showing sub level it's going to be hard for anyone to give you more advice.

Arachnrdz

Arachnopeon
That's an unusual position for it to molt in.

In all honesty, there's little you can do besides wait and see.
I hope she'll be fine

I've seen a different species walked out her molt on youtube if im not mistaking its Xenesthis sp white but a very rare case since only scorpions do that.

You're right the best thing I can do now is wait.. 😔

Without a good picture of the entire enclosure from the front showing sub level it's going to be hard for anyone to give you more advice.
IMG_20200705_065733.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

jaw6053

Arachnobaron
Add sub to at least half way full, remove rocks, do not feed until after it molts and keep water dish full. If the hide is not cut in half, cut it (no sharp edges) and move it where you have the rocks facing long ways sunk into substrate with shallow opening. Start a little burrow under the hide for it.

Arachnrdz

Arachnopeon
Add sub to at least half way full, remove rocks, do not feed until after it molts and keep water dish full. If the hide is not cut in half, cut it (no sharp edges) and move it where you have the rocks facing long ways sunk into substrate with shallow opening. Start a little burrow under the hide for it.
Will do.. thank you.

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
looks like its ontop of one of the few drier spots in the cage maybe it just wants to be on dry sub right now my smithii will do that like right now it wicked out all the water from its bowl so the sub is damp so its on the dry parts of the cage

jaw6053

Arachnobaron
Sorry to hear that. Do you know how old she was ?

Are you 100% sure its dead and not molting ? Its legs are not curled ?

Arachnrdz

Arachnopeon
Sorry to hear that. Do you know how old she was ?

Are you 100% sure its dead and not molting ? Its legs are not curled ?
I only got her last month the previous owner said she's 1year and 7months. Do you think its because of a failed molt? I only moved her after 48hrs..

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Sad to hear, strange though that it happend without a deathcurl, how were u sure she is dead

Arachnrdz

Arachnopeon
Sad to hear, strange though that it happend without a deathcurl, how were u sure she is dead
I don't have a picture of her first position, but her third legs where both tucked in her tummy before I moved her
It started July 4,
Posted this thread July 5
Last checked her yesterday. died because of failed molt?

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
To be honest i think there must have been more to it than that, but maybe

i personally dont have any experience with postmortem autopsy as i havent had a death yet but i'm relatively new to the hobby with just over two years of keeping them.

Im sure there is a thread about this somewere on this forum on how to do it correctly or you could ask about that.

with a sharp scalpel it schould be fairly easy to see if there is an exuviae draped over the new exoskeleton though, if there isnt it might have died from other reasons

the reason i asked ist that i have heard a lot of horror stories were owners thought their Ts had died throwing them into the trash etc. when really they were ust preparing to molt, thats why i asked how u were certain it was dead, what stood out to leave no doubt? i havent had one die yet so i have no experience with this kind of thing