Strength of 'T' fangs

kristal_kaos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I recently saw a thread that showed how ones T could manage to chew through her screen door and escape.:eek: ..lol, im skerred. Has that happened to anyone else...If they can chew threw that, whats really keeping them from chewing out of my plastic container (similar to KK)? :?
I have one in a glass terrarium with a screen lid, and now Im thinking i need reinforcements! :confused:
What do u guys think?
U really should have seen this thread, lol, it was crazy how much damage this T did to the screen without hurting itself!:clap:

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Heard that the big ones can puncture empty pop cans... wish to see a documented account:rolleyes:

One thing is sure: it's strong enought to pierce a nail, a glove or else!!!

mandolin101

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think a ur ok with a wire screen, unless you've got a really big spider thats always trying to get out.

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Just make sure the screen is metal mesh and not nylon. You'll be fine.

As for the kk... I remember a picture that another member posted several months ago of a juvi L. parahybana, I think. It had latched onto the slats in the top of a kk. The slats were bending a bit, but weren't even close to breaking. Also consider that the T would have to systematically break out slat after slat to create an opening large enough to fit through. I REALLY don't see that happening.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well its never happen to me so unless its a very BIG ( t ) i would not worry about it :) :) ;) ;) +++ phil

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yeah, I don't see it happening with a metal screen. If a T. can make it through that, there is always hardware cloth.

Pyst

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hate to be one to burst bubbles but some larger spiders can indeed gnaw their way through some of the thinner metal mesh screens. I've got a larger T.blondi that has wrecked it's screen. There are a few instances cited here on AB. I'll try to search them out and post them.

Here's an instance with pictures that was posted on another website. Click Me

Thread w/o pics here on AB.
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=49781

Last edited:

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Like I said, there's always hardware cloth.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
my 6" L. parahybana has a metal screen lid..."she" went through a phase about 4-5 months ago where every evening/night she would spend time hanging upside down from the lid prying at it with her fangs. At first I thought she was just using them for extra grip but one day I caught her in the act...no dice, she had all eight legs firmly grasping the screen with both fangs hooked through and was steadily pushing with her legs trying to break the screen. It surprised me how far she could move it but it wasn't in danger of breaking. Now...a full grown 8-9"+ specimen, I would worry about that.

I wouldn't trust hardware cloth as much either, but that's just me unless Eric and I are thinking of two different things. Regardless...except for the larger T's (7"/20cm+) I wouldn't worry too much but it never hurts to keep an eye on the condition of your lids ;)

wicked

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My psychotic little G pulchra will, from time to time, climb up to the corner above her water dish and pick at the screen with her fangs. I have heard her doing this from across the room. I haven't figured out what triggers her to leave her comfy spot by the water dish to do this. Something must stress her out, but I have not identified the source yet.
You can see what a number she is doing on the screen in the picture. That is one mentally unstable T I don't want loose in my house! :eek:

I also had a B smithi break a fang on one of those hot dipped wire tops. She hasn't tried to gnaw on the top since, and her fang grew back good as new.

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
will have to send the self proclaimed expert at the local pet shop to this thread. he assured me not to long ago that t's do not use their fangs to pry or anything else other than eating. i may just have to make a trip there today. {D this is the same guy that puts t's in small kk's with bark, no water and a big heat lamp on top to keep them warm.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
will have to send the self proclaimed expert at the local pet shop to this thread. he assured me not to long ago that t's do not use their fangs to pry or anything else other than eating. i may just have to make a trip there today. {D this is the same guy that puts t's in small kk's with bark, no water and a big heat lamp on top to keep them warm.
If you can manage to get the guy into said KK I think he'll get the message ;)

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
then he a right " expert " in how not to keep any ( t ) what a moron i would not let him / them keep a ant what can you do just do not go in that place :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :( :( :( :(

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
D'you think males are more likely to try and chew through than females? Y'know, when they're "exploring"? :}

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
then he a right " expert " in how not to keep any ( t ) what a moron i would not let him / them keep a ant what can you do just do not go in that place :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :( :( :( :(
i get crickets there. the only other option is a 45 mile drive.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well you have not much choice then but crickets end up dead any way its just the way the poor ( t ) are kept made me mad how do shops like that get and keep a licence in this day and age ???

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
The inspectors know as much about spiders as the employees do. :wall:

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Licence for Pet Shops?

Pet Shops need licences?

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hear in the u/k/ they do and can be very strict on them and can in very bad shops close it down :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: and if i find a bad one i will report it !!! and kick some butt shame on them :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed: **** phil ;) ;) :)