Strangeness..

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok, so I'm not really worried about this, but it puzzles me slightly, and I want to see what you guys and gals think about it.

Soo, three weeks ago I went on vacation. About 5 minute before I left, I fed all the babies. My GBB took down the prey with gusto, as she always does, and she gnawed away happily. Me dad gave them water once a week while I was gone.

Now to the reason of my puzzlement. Three weeks after the feeding, she's about 4x as big as before I left. She's rather small, around 7 cm. "she" is unsexed, and has never been paired.

So... I know they can produce dud sacs, but when they do this, do they actually look gravid ?

I know this happens in mammals, but spiderpregnancies aren't my speciality :D

Kirsten

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
As far as I know, they do look gravid with a dud sac. I've read in places on here of people describing a newly acquired T that looked gravid, produced a sac, and was in fact a dud. Pseudocyesis. Hope this helps:)

popcangenie

Arachnosquire
are you sure she did not molt and hide it or web over it? this happened to me once

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah, I've checked her entire enclosure, nothing there. Well, I'm gonna guess a dud sac is coming my way then. BUt at least I know she's a girl! :D

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My guess is that your dad accidentally killed your GBB (by drowning, presumably) and hastily replaced it before you came home, not taking into account the size of the original one so you wouldn't get suspicious. It'll be fun to see his reaction as he tries to feign innocence when you confront him with this! And if you're lucky, he actually managed to replace the original male with a gravid female! (And you can be thankful that at least he didn't bungle it altogether by replacing the GBB with G pulchra!).:D

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hahahahaha XD I doubt it, me dad would never do that. He'd just get drunk and send me a text "one spider dead. Love you. Dad"

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hahahahaha XD I doubt it, me dad would never do that. He'd just get drunk and send me a text "one spider dead. Love you. Dad"
LOL ... okay, well taking my theory (and yours) a step further, how do you know that your dad wasn't sharing his frosty brew with the GBB when watering time came around (you know, if humans can get a "beer belly," it stands to reason that GBBs can too) ... was the GBB walking sideways, spinning slurred webs and complaining of a headache when you got home?

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yes, it was! And it got very sentimental and told me I had a great butt!

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Har du last Avicularia artikeln jag lankade till dej?

Sry offtopic:eek:

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah, hubby's the same way. When he drinks he loves me sooo much, and he's never gonna leave me. And then after a loong speach about how much he loves me, he says "And I'll tell you something else too. YOU have a GREAT butt!"

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Interesting. That's alot more cooperation than most of us here could hope for. {D Hope you figure out the reason for the weight gain.

Har du last Avicularia artikeln jag lankade till dej?
Falk, Ooble schmibble schmirble schmeef?

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hahaha, this thread is gonne grow into a soup of languages=p

Falk wrote in swedish by the way, I in norwegian.

The article mentioned I believe is in swedish.

I have pink socks..

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
This articel, is it something you want to share with the rest of us?
I really really wish i could. Its an article written by the Swedish explorer and hobby taxonom Stefan Phalagorn Bergstrom about the Avicularia spp. extremly good article and i hope it will get translated some day.