Strange..

DiStUrBeD-OnE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
lol i was sitting here watching my T walk around its home... and it came across a cric that was in it, but i guess the cric saw the giant beast walking towards it... and it just fell over and acted dead, lol :rolleyes: .. i just snickered to myself saying that cric is gonna be spider goo in a few mins... but i came back in and the freakin Cric was STILL staying in the same spot... with the T hovering over it... and it stayed like that for over 2 hours... (P.S. The cric wasnt dead, i tapped it with my tweezers and it jumped up, walked around, and fell back down again right in front of the T..:? )

Soooooo... i was wondering, why diddnt the T eat the cric? it was RIGHT under him... can they not sense a cric sitting right under it? Cant they see it or something? :? Guess i havnt read if they can see / hear / feel the cric.. im pretty sure they cant smell... lol.
LMAO.. It was a funny sight tho ;P =D

Ian

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
nope...

T's cant see, or hear. They go by vibes on the ground. Have you ever yelled and one of your T's cluttles up. It goes by vibes like i said, The only thing it can see is dark, and light. That is one smart cricket, the ones I buy always try to climp up the wall(Funny if you see them do it). Your T will eat it, or if it doesnt eat it in about 24 hours, pull it out, and try again.

Hope I could help(If I did at all)

Hampton

DiStUrBeD-OnE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
lol np

Heh, i finally kinda..er..flicked the cric at the T and he jumped on it :D lol
Thanks for the help

Ian

belewfripp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Tarantulas definitely can see; how well, and whether or not arboreals see better than most, is a matter of debate. I will also mention that what we call hearing is just our eardrums vibrating in response to sound waves. Tarantulas may not have ears, but their various vibration-sensitive setae serve much the same function -- picking up and receiving sound waves.

Adrian

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Yes, tarantulas can definitely see. That'd be an awful waste of so many eyes if they couldn't..!

bill

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
Originally posted by invertepet
Yes, tarantulas can definitely see. That'd be an awful waste of so many eyes if they couldn't..!

bill
No kidding ! Eight eyes but theyre all blind ? The way I see it, I think they have eight eyes, one for each leg ! :D

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I started doing this some time ago. I would actually let the cricket go if it could play dead like that or somehow avoid the tarantula for an extended period of time. The way I see it, they deserve to be let go.

blackacidevil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Spider senses......

I'm pretty sure T's can somehow smell, otherwise how else would s'lings know to munch on split up crickets....and it is a shame that they have so many eyes yet can only differentiate between dark and bright :cool: .

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Re: Spider senses......

Originally posted by blackacidevil
I'm pretty sure T's can somehow smell, otherwise how else would s'lings know to munch on split up crickets....and it is a shame that they have so many eyes yet can only differentiate between dark and bright :cool: .
You bet your ass they can arachnids have one of the most advanced sensory systems on the planet!.
They can smell , they can feel vibrations and it is unkown if they can see.

schlinkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
As far as I know, they have chemoreceptors on the tip of their palps (or all of their legs?) that allows them to determine yummy from anything else as well ;)