Strange white substance

arachnophobespiderkeeper

Arachnosquire
So! I have made a few posts here about my (now identified) Eratigena Atrica. He seems to be making a great home and is totally happy,but today i saw him crawl onto his hide and release a white liquid, seemingly from his spinnerets. Does anybody have a clue what this liquid could be? is it like spider poop/waste or is it something to help stick webs together? its very curious and im always eager to learn. i'd take a picture but it seeped into his hide (half a toilet paper roll) almost instantly.

Any help is appreciated!​

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
but today i saw him crawl onto his hide and release a white liquid, seemingly from his spinnerets. Does anybody have a clue what this liquid could be? is it like spider poop/waste or is it something to help stick webs together?​
Probably poop. (The anus is near the spinnerets.)

Last edited:

arachnophobespiderkeeper

Arachnosquire
Probably poop. (The anus is near the spinnerets.)
Thats SUUUUPER weird but?? also super interesting. I honestly feel a bit bad that i just stared dead at him while he took a dump pft. Thanks for answering my stupid question though! I figured it was poop or some sort of fluid for the webs but I figured I should ask since I know little to nothing about spiders. But hey, im learning quite a bit here!