Strange Things You've Found In Your Invert Habitats

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
This should make for an interesting thread. A place for you to list all your bizarre and unexpected discoveries.

Mine: A snail shell in a 16 qt vivarium that has only ever contained Narceus americanus.

What have y'all got?

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Currently I have a p.audax that has made its way into my p.imperator enclosure. Due to my gf bringing home potted plants, now all my enclosures that have damp substrate have fungus gnats. At first I thought about taking it out. But realized it was doing a bang up job of eating all the fungus gnats. It’s been in there for two weeks. Could leave at any time, as ventilation is big enough to come and go. It must just enjoy the abundant food. I’m not worried about it getting eaten because it’s too fast for scorpion and scorpion spends all time in burrow. 10/10 recommend everyone get a jumping spider for a cleanup crew haha.

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
A Steatoda set up shop in my dwarf white isopod bin last summer. Luckily those pods breed like the dickens, so the spood had no chance of significantly impacting the population.

Kazeres

Arachnopeon
Isopod boxes (I use fibercoir mixed with backyard soil)

A tiny unknown millipides, tiny spiders (springtail hunters i guess), several spring species, a white lepisma, geophilus. Natural soils are plenty of amazing creatures.

scolopendra277

Arachnoknight
I used to have a colony of tetramorium bicarinatum living in my lychas marmoreus enclosure. the colony was in its founding stages, just a few workers. I have them in a test tube setup now.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I once found a rotting sock in a bag of leaves I collected for my millipedes and isopods...

I have Anadenobolus monilicornis babies in seemingly every moist enclosure I have.

I also found an ant colony living inside part of a yucca stalk I collected for my enclosures.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
found somesort of tiny (less than 1 mm) orb weaver in an insulated shipment containing tarantulas. it had the latrodectus bodyplan but they arent native to where i live

Xeroporcellio

Arachnosquire
1) A smallSteatoda specimen (Steatoda cf. maura) found its way into my Armadillidium vulgare/Armadillidium marmoratum colony and grew a bit before I noticed it. It even fed on one of the biggest Armadillidium vulgare females that I had!

2) Various Porcellionides pruinosus specimens turn out occasionally in my other colonies. That's weird, because their box is totally sealed and the ventilation holes are too small even for springtails!

3) A tiny, unspecified species of beetle (1 mm at most) lives into my ''coastal'' setup (Tylos/Stenophiloscia/Halophiloscia/cf. Orchestia). A cool addition in my opinion!

DiscoidsNHissers

Arachnopeon
German cockroach. Little <edit> found his way into a critter cage. He was punished by starvation in a tiny jar for threatening my cockroaches with whatever nasty germs it had.

Last edited by a moderator:

Conor10

Arachnoknight
That’s a little cruel even to me... I once found a little wolf spider in my obt’s enclosure. It was my fault as I just had a big female have a egg sac, guess one got out😂

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
Mushrooms in my Coleoptera enclosures, loads of mushrooms in fact.

Also had a small group of native Scarabaeinae (aphodiinae)in my Scarabaeus Saucer enclosure. However my S.Saucer breeding attempts were in vain so when the adults died returned the dung and the additional Aphodiniids to a meadow before they really had a chance to breed.