Strange things in my B. hamorii enclosure

Ragnoso

Arachnosquire
Sorry for the silly question but I have noticed that my T has done a strange "carpet" with webs and coco fiber in front of his home. Is it normal?
IMG_20171005_133259.jpg IMG_20171005_133324.jpg

DadsGlasses

Arachnosquire
Yes. Very normal.

I should note that I am very new to the hobby and I am far from an expert. I have three T's (including a B hamorii) and I have seen this behavior from all three of mine.

I'm sure others can chime in and give some reasons for this behavior.

Devin B

Arachnobaron
I believe that they lay down a carpet of silk as a way to detect when food is near. They can deel the vibrations all the way down their burrow when some food walks near the enterence.

BC1579

Arachnobaron
I've heard it's also a way to protect their meal from other ground-dwelling critters like ants and such. Sort of like laying down a picnic blanket.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yep, a lot of my t's do the same thing. In addition to potentially helping them detect approaching prey (or threats) I've also read that it gives them more secure footing - particularly if they have to make a speedy retreat into their hide or burrow - by binding together loose soil, sand, or other substrate so it doesn't slip or roll underfoot and covering up potential hazards like sticks and other small debris.

starnaito

Arachnosquire
It's sort of like laying out a road map, as it helps them know where they are and where the food is. This is why you want to avoid messing with it too much. If their webbing is suddenly not there, they won't feel secure.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
It's also possible that's where the tarantula eats. They lay down webbing when they eat. That's what they're doing when they do the "happy dance" aka spin in a circle slowly, touching their spinnerets to the ground.