Strange Things From G. Pulchra

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
Before I start, I'd like to say that before I signed up to Arachnoboards, I was on Terra (carnivorous plant forum). I was considering getting my first tarantula and asking a couple of questions here. The first response was, "Don't! They eat n00bs alive!" Well, I still have one arm and half a leg left :) . Hooray for beginner's arachnid intelligence!
Now that that's over, here comes my real question.
I've been observing my Grammastola Pulchra lately and he/she has been doing some weird things. First of all, Damien dug a ton of burrows that are all used maybe once or twice a day for a couple of minutes. Also, the top part of Damien's opisthosoma is darker than the rest of his/her body. Since Damien's not due for a molt yet (even though I have been giving him/her giant circkets that were eaten from head to legs every 2 days), could this be a bald spot from urticating hairs? It confuses me because I don't know why Damien would need to flick urticating hairs. What is happening to my G. Pulchra?

P.S.
My Grammastola Pulchra molted around 2 weeks ago.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Your G. pulchra may be flicking them at the prey you are feeding. Tarantulas know why they are flicking hairs, its not strange. Could be to line his burrow(s)? Who knows. Could be digging burrows in different spot due to lighting changing from moving the container. Flicking hairs could be from disturbances. Or he sees your giant eyeball staring at him! {D

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
My eyeballs are perfectly normal sized! ( 0 )_( 0 )
Lol
Anyways, I don't usually move the container. The prey thing could be true, though. They put up some crazy fights before he notices that they're there and kills them :p .

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As they get close to a molt, the hairs simply fall off . It happens, is absolutely normal.:)

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
B'Snow, How big is your pulchra? Depending upon how long you've had it if you're feeding it that frequently, without breaks, it could already be in pre-molt. My first two went into pre-molt rather quickly a few times during early instars and would refuse. At other times they would eat until a day or two before molt. Sometimes I wondered if this powerfeeding was causing them discomfort. I'd never see them kick, but they always appeared bloated and were evidently kicking for some reason other than at prey (fed pre-killed only up to 3" or so) as they showed bald spots here and there- never bad, though. They seemed notably more sluggish at a younger age as well.

I've changed the frequency regarding the 3 small ones I now have. I'll powerfeed every other day 4-5 days post-molt for a week. Week 2 I'll feed every other day for 4 days, break for 3-4 days, then repeat the cycle until they refuse at premolt. It's not always exact. I've noticed they rarely lose hair now and show notably livelier behavior than the first 2 had in earlier instars. The instars are definitely longer in between but I'm in no hurry and probably shouldn't have been rushing the first 2 as I did. Overall, I believe the newer method is working better. :)

Terry

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Before I start, I'd like to say that before I signed up to Arachnoboards, I was on Terra (carnivorous plant forum). I was considering getting my first tarantula and asking a couple of questions here. The first response was, "Don't! They eat n00bs alive!....."
Only with with some fava beans and a nice chianti.......

I've been observing my Grammastola Pulchra lately and he/she has been doing some weird things. First of all, Damien dug a ton of burrows that are all used maybe once or twice a day for a couple of minutes.
Tarantulas dig and they can dig some impressive tunnels, but that is normal. Of our 2 G. pulchra, only one has shown an inclination to burrow. That is normal also.

Also, the top part of Damien's opisthosoma is darker than the rest of his/her body.
Are we talking about an itzy bitzy one? Here are our 2 from itzy bitzy to 2" or so. I actually did a new photoshoot on them today, I will try to get those uploaded soon. The top of the opisthosoma is normally darker than the bottom. (Scully's first pic) When the bottom turn black and and it can quickly(Mulder's first pic), the molt should be less than a week away for little ones. They have urticating hair on the top as well, which make it darker. When they kick those off, it will have a bit of a bald spot.(you can kinda see that on Mulder's 2nd pic)

Since Damien's not due for a molt yet (even though I have been giving him/her giant circkets that were eaten from head to legs every 2 days)
Are you attempting to power feed?

, could this be a bald spot from urticating hairs?
This confuses me, as the bald spot is on the top of the abdomen....

It confuses me because I don't know why Damien would need to flick urticating hairs.
They kick hairs into a molting mat of web when preparing for a molt. They can kick them for many reasons that don't indicate stress.

What is happening to my G. Pulchra?
It is making its enclosure its own. I'll bet the tunnels have web throughout, which can alert it to prey being close. It may be a touch photosensitive and wanted a nice dark burrow to retreat to during the day. It could have been practicing to be a Rockette while you slumbered and lost its hairs in all that kicking. What is happening though, is a tarantula acting just like a tarantula.:D

P.S.
My Grammastola Pulchra molted around 2 weeks ago.
On that feeding regimen, if it is tiny, it may molt faster than once a month too.:D

Weird_Arachnid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My eyeballs are perfectly normal sized! ( 0 )_( 0 )
Lol
Anyways, I don't usually move the container. The prey thing could be true, though. They put up some crazy fights before he notices that they're there and kills them :p .
LMAO! That was rather cute.

Anyhoo, Ts tend to flick hairs at their prey as well. Similar to what you've described.

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
Oh god! My tarantula flipped over out of nowhere. His pedipalps were curled and legs spread out, then he got back up. He was near his burrow. Could he be in premolt? And either way, WHAT THE @#$% JUST HAPPENED!?!

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Sounds like it's ready to molt now by you've described. It might have been disturbed somehow and temporarily aborted. Just leave it be and .......don't worry. :)

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
Sounds like it's ready to molt now by you've described. It might have been disturbed somehow and temporarily aborted. Just leave it be and .......don't worry. :)
I didn't even touch it, or make a sound.
Fran, that's something that sticks to me forever :) . Soon, I will be passing that off to a n00b. Then that n00b will become more experienced and give that little piece of interesting information to a new n00b. P.S. I'm not being sarcastic. I'm serious, that's how these things work.
Terry D, first off thank you for not calling me BS. He/she is 1.50"+ and is fed a 1"-/+ cricket every two days.
curiousme, thank you for all the information. It is much appreciated. I'm looking for information to increase my knowledge past the TKG (SAS) basics. I would say the Pulchra is more picture #2 with a bit of Scully. Yeah, I'm just going to go with Scully. Actually, more along the size of Araknu. I've never actually held Damien, so...anyways, I don't know what power-feeding is but I am providing damien a constant supply of large crickets with a short distance between feedings :D . It's probably not a bald spot, then.
Weird_Arachnid, LOL! Anyways, I think he's most likely in premolt. If he's a he. If he's a she then she's most likely in premolt. Unless she's not. I wouldn't know, his symptoms show that she is going into premolt but I'm not absolutely sure.

DrJonnyD

Arachnosquire
Burntsnow,
Thanks for the recognition about molting questions. It is good to be a nOOB as you call them. Glad that post has not died. I wish I was not attached to that stupid nOOB question. Makes me feel loved though that am remembered, or at least someone learned from my mistake. Thanks again Fran. Not being sarcastic there either.

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
Burntsnow,
Thanks for the recognition about molting questions. It is good to be a nOOB as you call them. Glad that post has not died. I wish I was not attached to that stupid nOOB question. Makes me feel loved though that am remembered, or at least someone learned from my mistake. Thanks again Fran. Not being sarcastic there either.
Ok, but do you have something helpful to say?

NevularScorpion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm pretty sure your T is on premolt :) my 3 1/2" female only ate for 3 weeks after it molt then went to hungerstrike/premolt for 3 months then molted :D. basically she just molt again after 5 months which is too soon for gramm sp. lol